What to do with core? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroked

What to do with core?

Well guys, got my BTS installed this weekend. Now I have my old E4OD with PI converter leftover, as I bought the BTS used and the owner didn't need a core.

I'm just looking for opinions on what to do with my old trans now. I thought about selling it, but didn't know if there was a better alternative. If your advice is to sell it, let me know what you think its worth so I can post it.

The trans and TC have around 50k on them.
The previous owner participated in a couple truck pulls, I have not.
It has been on the drag strip, but only maybe 8 times in the year I've owned it. I don't believe the previous owner had it at the strip very often.
I've towed around 6k pounds a couple times, no problems, temps stayed below 160*. Before me, as far as I know, the most he towed was a GN with a mud truck on it. NO idea on the weight.

The TC should still be good, at least from everything I have heard about the PI converters. The transmission was "built" (Red Eagle clutches and PI converter, not sure of any other details), but was slowly starting to slip more and more, and she was finished off when I got fresh tuning back in February. On my test drive after the re-tune, in my street tune just easing into it like I was passing somebody, it slipped pretty badly.
I think the stock cooler got restricted, as she got up to 210* twice, the only 2 times I drove it after that.

Friday on the 80 mile drive to the shop where i was installing my BTS, it started acting up mechanically, other than slipping. Which it hadn't done prior. When I stopped at a stop sign, and went to take off, it revved like it was in Neutral so I let off. After 10 seconds or so it slammed into 1st, making a metallic crashing noise when it did so. For the next 40 miles, it did that anytime I came to a stop (maybe 6 times total). Also, for those 40 miles, it would intermittently make a growling noise while in OD.

The temps hit 220* at one point, so I pulled over and shut it off to cool for a half hour or so.

I'd like to sell it and try to recoup some money, but I don't have the slightest idea what it would go for. Also, whether the PI would be sold with it or seperately, the PI can be cut/cleaned by PI, before or after a sale. I also have already had some interest in it IF I decided to part it out.

THere's a background on it from what I know. I tried to keep this short while also posting as much necessary info as I could think of. If you have questions ask..

97 F250 CCSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: What to do with core?

Have you thought of asking Brian if he wants a core and what he'd pay for it?

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroked

Nope. I will do just that though, thanks. I'm expecting a call from him anyways

97 F250 CCSB

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Sounds like you killed the trans and trashed the converter in the process. I would say that if you are lucky enough to find someone to take it for free, you made out on the deal. I just gave away a trans and converter in somewhat better shape than that.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroked

Think I trashed the converter? THink that that's what the growling noise was?

97 F250 CCSB
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:35 PM
PSN nerd

yeah it sounds like a core trans now

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroked

Well.. that's about all I had planned to do with it anyways. I didn't think I was tearing up the TC though

97 F250 CCSB
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:33 PM
PSN Local

Unless you had a filter in the cooler lines that caught everything, converter is now just a core along with the trany.

If you want to off it to a fellow Ohioan then let me know.

"It's JUSTa 7.3"

His - 01 F-350 Reg cab 4x4 auto
Hers - 00 F-350 Crew long bed 4x4 auto
Kids - 01 EX Limited
Toy - 97 F-350 Reg cab 4X4 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode