E40D advice - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

E40D advice

I have a 97 f-250 CCSB 7.3. The truck has 250k miles, but I was told the trans was replaced 3k miles ago. It looks very clean under there (except for the trans fluid leak on all the bolts I am assuming from the pan bolts not being tight enough). Anyways it likes to hold first gear for ever until I either put my foot in the throttle heavy or back off on it. It also likes to shift hard between 3rd and od, and gets the flare sometimes from the TC locking up. This is driving me crazy after I probably could have bought a 6.0 with half the miles for the price I paid for this truck. I am in texas right now, but I am driving back home to california in july for 2 weeks, then heading to north dakota for 3 years. I wont be able to work on the truck much here in texas, and I am not sure how it's going to be in north dakota.

Anyways, I was wondering what you guys would recommend to fix this? I have read some stuff about possibly a shift kit of a valve body. I am kind of short on cash since uncle sam doesn't pay me too much so I can't afford a lot. Down the road the plans are for a bigger turbo, injectors, tune, new DP to match the exhaust, intercooler, and maybe some other things. Would prefer to not have to buy parts twice either though.

I don't have a lot of time to search after class so sorry if this has been covered before
Thanks,
Mike Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Sponsor

Re: E40D advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfzkid View Post
I have a 97 f-250 CCSB 7.3. The truck has 250k miles, but I was told the trans was replaced 3k miles ago. It looks very clean under there (except for the trans fluid leak on all the bolts I am assuming from the pan bolts not being tight enough). Anyways it likes to hold first gear for ever until I either put my foot in the throttle heavy or back off on it. It also likes to shift hard between 3rd and od, and gets the flare sometimes from the TC locking up. This is driving me crazy after I probably could have bought a 6.0 with half the miles for the price I paid for this truck. I am in texas right now, but I am driving back home to california in july for 2 weeks, then heading to north dakota for 3 years. I wont be able to work on the truck much here in texas, and I am not sure how it's going to be in north dakota.

Anyways, I was wondering what you guys would recommend to fix this? I have read some stuff about possibly a shift kit of a valve body. I am kind of short on cash since uncle sam doesn't pay me too much so I can't afford a lot. Down the road the plans are for a bigger turbo, injectors, tune, new DP to match the exhaust, intercooler, and maybe some other things. Would prefer to not have to buy parts twice either though.

I don't have a lot of time to search after class so sorry if this has been covered before
Thanks,
Mike Smith
02: Custom Valve Body needed. A shift kit can't fix wear, sounds like you have some.

Shift kits and related products assume the installer is a professional who knows when more than a kit is needed. Rebuilder should have used a new reuseable pan gasket on a 97 and repaired any stripped pan bolts-- if the pan is the source of the leak. Check pan bolts, only 10-12 ft lbs is the torque spec on your pan bolts.

~

POWERFLOW BY RACER X
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1997 F350 7.3L Twin Turbo Powered by 473cc's of Diesel & [email protected] hp!

Proud Supporters of PSN,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
& Al's childrens fund.

Contact RACER X for rebuilds proudly built in U. S. A.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:16 PM
PSN Veteran

What other mods? Chip? Did the owner say its always been this way? Maybe the shop that did the trans can reajust it..worth a call. Little more info would be helpfull.

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:58 PM
PSN Local

I am curious about this aswell cuz i have a 95 bone stock does the exact same thing except it randomly hesitates when shifting into drive. Has anyone else had these problems? what did it take to fix. Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Fire View Post
02: Custom Valve Body needed. A shift kit can't fix wear, sounds like you have some.

Shift kits and related products assume the installer is a professional who knows when more than a kit is needed. Rebuilder should have used a new reuseable pan gasket on a 97 and repaired any stripped pan bolts-- if the pan is the source of the leak. Check pan bolts, only 10-12 ft lbs is the torque spec on your pan bolts.

~
Hmm alright I will think about a custom valve body. Rebuilt a trans when I was 13, but it's been a while since I have opened one up lol. I will check the bolts this weekend, I think I should have access to some tools and a lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSWIZ View Post
What other mods? Chip? Did the owner say its always been this way? Maybe the shop that did the trans can reajust it..worth a call. Little more info would be helpfull.
Right now it has just an exhaust, everything else is completely stock. I can't go to the trans guy because that was two owners ago (truck was bought then sold quick) and the trans shop is 350 miles away. I am only allowed 250 miles from where I am at now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartlett99 View Post
I am curious about this aswell cuz i have a 95 bone stock does the exact same thing except it randomly hesitates when shifting into drive. Has anyone else had these problems? what did it take to fix. Thanks
Yeah my dad said the 97 he test drove, his old 97, and mine all drove like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Found out all of my problems was a gold colored thing with superchips written on it. Got a TS chip in and it shifts like a dream now, and truck runs tits!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode