Clutch Help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Road Hammer

Clutch Help

Truck in signature, got it this weekend.

It hesitates/grabs going into all gears (even when clutch to the floor, causes rough up-shifts), engages just past half-way pedal travel. The truck has been sitting since fall last year. Clutch doesn't seem to slip, but haven't towed or really worked it yet. Original clutch I believe.

Any suggestions?

Can the clutch be adjusted at all? Air in the line? Worn clutch?

Thanks guys, search turned up mixed answers.

Edit - There is a little oil on the bottom the bell-housing and around the starter if it matters.

00' F350 XLT - SCSB, 4x4, 6-spd
94' Ranger - 306/5-spd in progress
06' KTM 525 EXC-R - Dual sport & SuperMoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic

Send a message via AIM to Mini-Stroke...
Re: Clutch Help

sounds like a possible bent clutch fork

96 PSD 4X4, 33's, intake, 4" straight exhaust, Autometer NV gauges, Edge
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ZF5 tranny, LUK clutch. D60 swap in the works......

87 Diesel ranger 4X4
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Bent clutch fork, weak hydraulics or weak pressure plate fingers. Or bad stoopid pushrod bushing.

Get an assistant; slither under, and while an assistant operates the pedal, FULL travel, measure the distance the poking-out end of the fork moves. IIRC, it should be about 7/16"-1/2" (12-13mm). If it's less, then the problem is "upstream"; pedal / pushrod bushings and/or hydraulics. If it's at least that much, then it's a bent fork or the pressure plate just isn't springing with the fork / throwout bearing travel.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Road Hammer

Thanks guys, I'll give it a look-over this week, as taking 5 minutes to get up to speed trying to get it into gears, and do it relatively smoothly get old, fast. I've sat at a green light more than once trying to find 1st (2nd), and often when I do get it into gear you can feel the truck lurch forward, but it does slip into every gear a lot easier if accelerating harder than usual/normal driving.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again guys!

00' F350 XLT - SCSB, 4x4, 6-spd
94' Ranger - 306/5-spd in progress
06' KTM 525 EXC-R - Dual sport & SuperMoto
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Edward Scissorhand WanaB

It is time to investigate what is going on. I had the exact same problem on a 99.5 F450 at work. The clutch disk was cracked and a spring came loose. The Ford clutch disk is famous for cracks and springs coming loose. I used this http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=123 and this http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=588 and http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=124. I also bought a new Slave/Master cylinder and a new clutch pedal assembly. The reason for the new pedal assembly was because there is a small post on the side of the pedal arm that attaches to the push rod and the post gets worn and begins to get a little slop in pedal to push rod travel. The post attaches to the push rod via a plastic retainer bushing that connects the two parts together and when the plastic bushing wears out you get metal to metal and the wear begins. Everything I described has fixed my clutch problem to good as new status. I have the Luk Clutch/Flywheel in three of my work trucks. Time will tell if they hold up to the commercial abuse.

"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 AM
PSN Local

Any of these things cause a vibration/tap in the floor of truck. I have it when accelerating. If I let out off accelerator it isnt as bad or push in clutch it goes away.

1999.5 FORD F250 SUPERDUTY 4X4 EXT CAB
7.3L POWERSTROKE DIESEL
6 SPEED
SWAMPS STAGE 1 SINGLE SHOT INJECTORS
SWAMPS TUNING
6" AUSSIE STACKS
AFE INTAKE W/ PRO GUARD 7 FILTER
VAN TURBO
4" SUSPENSION LIFT
315/75/16 BUCKSHOT MAXXIS MUDDER TIRES ON STOCK WHEELS (WINTER TIRES)
16X9 MOTO METAL 951 BLACK WHEELS (SUMMER)
COWL HOOD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode