Trans Rebuilder telling me soft shifts and flaring are computer related-True??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Only!

Trans Rebuilder telling me soft shifts and flaring are computer related-True???

I have a 95 PSD Van and I just had my E4OD rebuilt. The guy who rebuilt it (an ex-ford trans tech now doing independent trans work on the side) said that he wasn't quite happy with it after the rebuild and I'm noticing the same problems he noted... it's certainly not driving like it should drive when it came off the lot.

I'm getting soft/slow/spongy shifts at most types of acceleration (slow and even WOT acceleration). I'm getting flaring RPMs between gears and I'm getting bogging down going into 4th gear.

None of this seems right. The guy who did the rebuild is saying that it's electronics (PCM) causing the problems.

Is this right or is it a cop-out of having to go back in? It seems to me that the valve body would control how firm the shifts are. Doesn't the computer simply tell the trans when to shift or also the firmness of the shift? Is there a modulator on the transmission? If so what controls that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 AM
riverjet

Re: Trans Rebuilder telling me soft shifts and flaring are computer related-True???

Get him to fix it.Yes a computer can cause problems,but most not likely.I made a mistake of listening to that computer BS!

2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Science rulz

Send a message via AIM to Coltaine
Re: Trans Rebuilder telling me soft shifts and flaring are computer related-True???

If it wasn't doing it before the rebuild then it shouldn't just suddenly start doing it after the rebuild..

One of them truckless bastards.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
If it wasn't doing it before the rebuild then it shouldn't just suddenly start doing it after the rebuild..
The problem is that I bought the van with no 4th gear so I don't know too much about it's history. It seemed like the flaring shifts are a new thing though. I really don't recall the soft shifts.

It doesn't always flare and it's not a huge flare but the RPMS do increase a bit mid shift.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
Is this right or is it a cop-out of having to go back in? It seems to me that the valve body would control how firm the shifts are. Doesn't the computer simply tell the trans when to shift or also the firmness of the shift? Is there a modulator on the transmission? If so what controls that?
Yes but the VB needs some parts to make the shifts right sometimes springs, valves. Did he put in the good shift solinoid ? Sometimes the linepressure needs to be fiddled with that can be in the tuning.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
Yes but the VB needs some parts to make the shifts right sometimes springs, valves. Did he put in the good shift solinoid ? Sometimes the linepressure needs to be fiddled with that can be in the tuning.
He said that he put all new solenoids into the trans.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
He said that he put all new solenoids into the trans.
The orange one is one of the best.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Only!

not sure what the orange one is but I'm guessing the better solenoid? I'm not sure what he used for them.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 AM
<----Nice headlights!!!

If you paid for a rebuild then you should get a rebuild. If he needed to replace more parts that werent originally quoted you should have gotten a phone call to say "hey its gonna cost a little more". If he cant fix it after another 'tinkering' then ask him if he knows somebody who will. Or ask for the money back/different transmission. Doesnt sound right to me.

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 AM
riverjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
The orange one is one of the best.
I was told by my connection at the Ford dealership,the orange is Fords updated-post99 solinoid pack to cure the4r100 3-4 shift flare issues. The casting flows better.Transgo addressed this in their kits by drilling more holes in the casting if you have a older casting.

2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode