Manual to Auto questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Stack Man

Send a message via Yahoo to crzycowboy
Manual to Auto questions

I seen the thread for going from auto to manual...my question is...has anyone gone manual to auto? Why would someone want to do this? Easy...I found a 03 7.3L with 61K on it...only down side is the manual tranny...why is it a down side...the wife hates driving manual vehicles. So with that said...if I could get this truck, I would be looking at a transmission swap possibly. Now I don't know if I would swap column's or not, I was thinking about probably a floor shifter for it. So...has anyone done this? Thought of doing this? I'm just curious what sort of can of worms I'd be opening up if I did go through this....

Thanks in advance for the help.

Josh Stewart

Ford F-150....for now..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Re: Manual to Auto questions

This has been done. I know Charles has done it and a few others.

Most the people that do this use what is called a PCS box for the tranny controller so you dont have to worry about switching all the wires on the truck and everything else.

You can swap the columns but I like your idea of a floor shifter it just sounds cool.

If you need a fly wheel or the spacer plate to go between the motor and tranny let me know. I have them sitting at home.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Stack Man

Send a message via Yahoo to crzycowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_stroker View Post
This has been done. I know Charles has done it and a few others.

Most the people that do this use what is called a PCS box for the tranny controller so you dont have to worry about switching all the wires on the truck and everything else.

You can swap the columns but I like your idea of a floor shifter it just sounds cool.

If you need a fly wheel or the spacer plate to go between the motor and tranny let me know. I have them sitting at home.
Cool man...I'll have to research it more if I get the truck. I would normaly pass up trucks with the manual in it, but it's one of the last 7.3L in 03, AND it's sonic blue! Which is my all time favorite color on the Super Duty's. With 61K miles, I'd be stupid to not try and get it.

Performance GMC: Vehicle Profile <----the truck

I'm thinkin' I can talk him down a bit...but in my area here in Ohio... their asking price is pretty damn good.

Josh Stewart

Ford F-150....for now..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 PM
PSN Local

I used a billet shifter from LOKAR. It has reverse lock-out built into it, mounts easily in the hole where the 6-speed shifter was, and looks cool as hell. The factory cable just loops around and hooks to the bottom of it. As far as the PCS goes, I don't know about it, I used the wiring harness from a donor truck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:46 AM
PSN Local

Im also interested in doing this swap and in the several conversations ive read about doing the swap ive never heard of a PCS. What is it and does it make the swap easier? Where do you get them?

Sinister EGR delete, ARP Headstuds, replaced oem headgaskets, HD Bellowed up-pipes, 03 Turbo, SCT x3 with tunes from Gearhead...waiting impatiently for a bigger turbo and injectors...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 AM
PSN nerd

PCS is a standalone controller that allows you to go to semi auto mode or run in auto and be able to program all the functions to your liking. There are a few of the vendors here that are PCS dealers. the controller and harness runs about $800. other nice thing you do not have to mess with the trucks wiring harness much then and you do not have to worry about getting the other pcm. I am pretty sure I am going to PCS control mine when I do the swap in my truck. I really like the semi auto feature, and it will be nice to have differnt auto modes. I hate when the 2000 auto will click through the gears when you are easy on the throttle but still accelerating

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode