Cooler leaking... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

Cooler leaking...

I hope I located this correctly. My trans cooler started weeping and Im not sure if something is loose or there is a hole. Not a huge deal but Im busy enough that my biggest concern is finding the time to take it all apart.

Wish me luck and some free time...

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

Re: Cooler leaking...

Finally got the time to check my leaky trans cooler out...fittings aren't leaking. ...got a hole in it somewhere...Anybody used a generic Hayden-style trans cooler from a local auto parts store? They've got one at O'reillys for $45 thats twice the size of my stocker. I just dont know how good or chitty they are. ANy input would be appreciated!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Busted Knuckles

There's an installation procedure in the 7.3 library for a 6.0 trans cooler install that said about 2 hours for that swap. You may want to look into that as a lot of guys use them.

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDEng View Post
There's an installation procedure in the 7.3 library for a 6.0 trans cooler install that said about 2 hours for that swap. You may want to look into that as a lot of guys use them.
Yeah man I hear ya, Ive been looking on ebay and asking around for 6.0l coolers but there getting to be around $300 which is a little steep for a oem part. I should of done that a couple years ago when they were cheap. One of those deals, "if it aint broke dont fix it"...

Im just wondering how thin/chintzy the aftermarket hayden/murray type are? Will the handle the higher line pressure that chips produce in an autotrans? Im one of those people that knows how a trans works but am kinda ignorant about the details, admittedly!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Busted Knuckles

My trucool max just came in yesterday that I ordered from dieselsite. It seems very beefy, especially compared to the one on my truck now! The price was very very reasonable too as it came with lines, barbs, clamps, and mounting hardware.

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:

Quote:
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDEng View Post
My trucool max just came in yesterday that I ordered from dieselsite. It seems very beefy, especially compared to the one on my truck now! The price was very very reasonable too as it came with lines, barbs, clamps, and mounting hardware.
What did you get and what was the pricing? I still have the stock 7.3 trans cooler(i know i know why didnt I already upgrade it) and the top and fittings are dry so I NEED a new one. Thanks for the input bro!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Busted Knuckles

I got the tru cool max from dieselsite. it ran me $120 it came with everything im gonna need cuz my tranny took a #### so im sure my cooler is filled with junk. it came with lines, brackets, barbed reducers, clamps, the works all for that price. You may want to call bob at dieselsite and ask him about what you will need however. what year is your truck?

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:

Quote:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

Mines a 2000. 240k and the trans is still fine. I pulled a heavy trailer last week(about 15klbs) and was worried about the cooler bursting but it didnt leak any heavier than usual. I changed the trans fluid and filter the next day and there wasnt hardly anything in the fluid so I dont know when my trans is gonna puke, not that I want it to!

The stock psd cooler on mine is about 8x18. Is the tru cool larger? I know a cooler cant be too big, technically, but some people are running a huuuge one and then just driving around town occasionally goosing the throttle.

I can say with big tires and pulling a trailer and dragging trees that my trans hasnt had a problem. Im waiting everytime I pull heavy for it to hiccup and fail.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Busted Knuckles

Well in that case the trucool is meant to be an add on cooler to the one you already have. If you wanted to ditch your stocker you could get a V-10 style cooler and then but the trucool inline with it. That would run you about $400 i believe. You wouldn't ever have to worry about it again! and the trucool is about that size i believe. maybe a little longer.

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode