transmission problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

transmission problems

Towed my 5,000lb boat home 30 miles. When i pull up to a light and it down shifts from 2nd to 1st, it slams hard into 1st. Only in tow haul towing the boat. Truck is not throwing any check engine lights. Was told it was the filter for the tranny cooler underneath the radiator, was told to change that. Truck only has 52,000 miles on it, any help?? please, thanks russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: transmission problems

What filter for the trans cooler? Unless someone added an aftermarket filter the only filter you have is in the pan. What color is the fluid? Does it smell burnt? Do you see metal particles in the fluid? Are there any other symptoms other than the one downshift issue? Does it slip at all during upshifts? How about shudder under acceleration? You may want to try a filter change and fluid flush before digging deeper.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Since this was moved from the 6.0L section I'll assume you have a 6.0L truck. If not, just ignore this.

The 3-2 shift in tow/haul has always been a problem. You can't feel the 2-1 shift.
If you have a 2003 or 2004 there is updated software that makes it better. It is not a complete fix, and it also changes other things in tow/haul that some people don't like.

A work around is to disconnect both batteries to reset the adaptive software. The adaptive can learn itself into a bad place that it has a hard time learning it's way out of. That causes the pressure for the 3-2 shift to be too high.

The root cause of the problem is that there are two clutches that have to release and two clutches that have to apply to make the 3-2 in tow/haul. All four of those clutches have to finish what they are doing within 30 milliseconds of each other or the shift is going to slam. The only way to 100% fix this problem is to design a new transmission.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

30 milliseconds? That's twice as fast as a Ferrari can shift...

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2006 f250 6.0 transmission problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 tpr View Post
Truck is a 2006 f250 6.0 motor truck has 52,000 miles on it.Towed my 5,000lb boat home 30 miles. When i pull up to a light and it down shifts from 2nd to 1st, it slams hard into 1st. Only in tow haul towing the boat. Truck is not throwing any check engine lights. Was told it was the filter for the tranny cooler underneath the radiator, was told to change that. Truck only has 52,000 miles on it, any help?? please, thanks russ
it slams realy hard when i come to a red light. thanks for the repies.russ
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re:2006 f250 6.0 transmission problems

2006 f250 6.0
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
30 milliseconds? That's twice as fast as a Ferrari can shift...
I didn't say the shift takes 30 milleseconds. I said all four elements have to complete the shift within 30 seconds of each other. If one or more clutches finishes 30 milleseconds later than the others the shift is going to be terrible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode