Shutter taking off - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Shutter taking off

I have a early 99 with the 4R100 im getting a shutter when i take off and slips when it goes to 2nd. It wont do this all the time. But i have noticed they dont seem to have anything to do with each other. It may shutter, then not slip or it may slip and not shutter on take off. Or if it really feels good it will do them both. Any help here guys. Trans only has 9,000 miles on it. Its a reman form a place called drive power? It was all i could afford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Shutter taking off

To me it sounds like you got a messed up trans. How much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking? Also no type of warrenty?

1997 Ford F-250 Sleeper Edition
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

The shudder that you feel is converter clutch slippage. Did you replace the converter when you installed the new trans? If not you probably don't have a warranty now. The slipping going into second is a sure sign of the transmission failing. let us know if you put a new converter in or not and that will help diagnose your trans issue better. Did you flush the cooler lines out thoroughly as well? What color/smell is the fluid that is in there now? Do you see metal particles?

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yea its a new converter came with the trans. why would the TC clutch but locking in at 0-15 mph?? i pulled the pan and its going for sure lots of clutch material. I paid 2800 for it in june of 2008. i ran that trans till jan. of 2010. Cant complain never slip never had a problem with it till but it just stopped pulling one day. Welll under warrenty i got this one put it in Feb 2010. Not rally had a chance to bet on it good its only got 8 pulls on it from the sled just cant understand why this one failed so quickly. Hell the other one went a season and a half pullin and 30,000 miles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i did flush the lines as well the fluid is burnt looking and smelling i still have a warrrenty just bothers me why so quickly
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Bad rebuild.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
The shudder that you feel is converter clutch slippage.
No, that's not possible. The shudder he feels is at low speeds when the converter clutch is not applied, so it can't be slipping.

Low speed shudder is either a bad u-joint or a problem with the driveshaft angle.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

its in the trans. it wont do it when the shifter is pulled down into first but when its left in drive it will. i dont get at WOT trans is like a new one hell it will chirp the tires going into 2nd but just around town and normal driving it will slip or shutter
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Demon Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
No, that's not possible. The shudder he feels is at low speeds when the converter clutch is not applied, so it can't be slipping.

Low speed shudder is either a bad u-joint or a problem with the driveshaft angle.
Yeah your right about converter slippage Mark. I didn't pay close enough attention to his post as to when it was shuddering. That being said. His trans was a poor rebuild. Much like most stock ford transmissions, it requires some redesigned parts and upgrades in order for it to work right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode