torqshift torque convertor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Power Junky

torqshift torque convertor

ok so the factory convertor is a tripple disk design. for a daily driver that sees some towing but mostly not a crazy amount of weight. what kind of convertor would benifit me the most? stock, aftermarket? is there any performance improvement in a aftermarket convertor? i was poking around and it looks as if the ford convertor is close to the price of some of the performance convertors. any mpg improvement?

Randy
2006 f250 4x4 lariat cc swb 6.0psd torqueshift elec tcase soon to have isspro gauges air/fire/tranny/ fuel pretty much stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 AM
PSN Local

Re: torqshift torque convertor

What was wrong with your transmission? Did the solenoid fix it?

2003 F250 CC SB FX4
6.0 Powerstroke
BLOWN HEAD GASKETS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCD 190 CC Injectors
SCT XCal w/ RCD Tuning
EGR DELETE
Autometer GS Series: EGT, Fuel PSI, Trans, Boost
Air Dig II
Bully Dog RFI
Silverline 4 In Turbo Back - No Muffler
No Kitty - Zoodad - High Idle
315/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT
Pure Diesel Power 8 In Tip
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Power Junky

it fixed it for about 3 weeks. the truck still shifts thru all the gears but is slipping pretty bad and some times goes to 3rd from a stop as well as slipping from 3to 5 and a worse reverse shudder. the solenoid did help i think but now im looking for the best option for getting the tranny fixed. i guess the good thing is the temps are not going anywhere higher than 180* and it hasnt left me stranded. ive been pretty easy on it and the gain in mpgs is proof gained 2mpg in town last tank

Randy
2006 f250 4x4 lariat cc swb 6.0psd torqueshift elec tcase soon to have isspro gauges air/fire/tranny/ fuel pretty much stock

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:24 AM
PSN Local

Ya same thing with mine. When I drive it easy it shifts good and doesn't slip. When I get in it hard it'll slip a shift really bad. The reverse shudder is starting to come back. I'm just waiting for it to start slipping again and leave me stranded.

2003 F250 CC SB FX4
6.0 Powerstroke
BLOWN HEAD GASKETS

RCD 190 CC Injectors
SCT XCal w/ RCD Tuning
EGR DELETE
Autometer GS Series: EGT, Fuel PSI, Trans, Boost
Air Dig II
Bully Dog RFI
Silverline 4 In Turbo Back - No Muffler
No Kitty - Zoodad - High Idle
315/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT
Pure Diesel Power 8 In Tip
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Power Junky

if i get on it.. it will drop out of gear or slip them slam into gear... trying to not break stuff... it sux. hate to say it but doug was right. i should have traded it lol 2 weeks ago

Randy

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Your trans is shot. You need a new trans and converter or trade the truck in those are the only two options you have to get rid of the problem you are having.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Don't bother with more than stock unless you are rebuilding. It is kinda like mating a young stud with Grandma. Not a good idea especially if I am that young stud. As to the TC even if you are rebuilding, best go with the builder's recommendation. You bring your own steak to the restaurant and ask them to cook it but if it goes south, who is to blame? The moron who cooked it or the moron who brought it in?

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Power Junky

I'm aware the tranny is shot. Haven't decided which route on the rebuild.. Just want to know the difference between a built and or bad a$$ convertor vs stock or somethink like a dayco etc. Is it worth the coin pretty much.. What gains power? Mpgs? I'd rather not spend 3 grand on a tranny and another grand + on a tc. Plus a new tranny cooler... Also what brands are good along with it. A lot of companies don't build their own parts just put the label on them. I don't know if torque convertors are that way though.

Randy

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 View Post
I'm aware the tranny is shot. Haven't decided which route on the rebuild.. Just want to know the difference between a built and or bad a$$ convertor vs stock or somethink like a dayco etc. Is it worth the coin pretty much.. What gains power? Mpgs? I'd rather not spend 3 grand on a tranny and another grand + on a tc. Plus a new tranny cooler... Also what brands are good along with it. A lot of companies don't build their own parts just put the label on them. I don't know if torque convertors are that way though.
Do you plan to keep it 100% stock or modified or what? How long do you plan to keep the truck? If you dump $5000 into the trans, don't think you will get much back if you sell it so you have to figure that into your equation. In my case, I plan to keep it for a while so I spent the money to fix it up right. If I sold it tomorrow, few, if any will give me more money because I spent $3900 for a BTS trans. OTOH, I know it will break sooner or later so since I will keep it, the BTS warranty works for me. He will fix it for nothing even after 2 yrs. No limits on what I do.

If you want to mod it, please be aware that the company might void the warranty if they feel it has been abused. Sure, you can fight it but is it worth it? Make sure the builder is fine with the modifications and GET IT IN WRITING.

Doesn't matter who does what with the TC. If there is a problem with the trans, the builder can blame the TC and the TC will blame the builder. Best go with builder.

There should be no power gains since the trans doesn't make power.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Power Junky

It makes no power but it does absorb power. So if a parts absorbs less power that is what I was talking about. Going rate for a bts is $3900 youch... Is that installed turn key?

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode