Transmission and Clutch nightmare - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Travelin PhotoG

Send a message via AIM to Lonald Send a message via Yahoo to Lonald
Transmission and Clutch nightmare

Ok so I bought my truck last October...

February, I had a pilot bearing go out, tore up the seals infront of the tranny, had a new clutch assembly and seals installed.

March, Had a fuel line break doused the clutch assembly, throwout bearing went out, clutch tore up...

Last night I was coming down from PA to Maryland and the truck popped out of gear and when I put it in gear and shutterd shaked, free spun. made lots of bad noise. I got it to grab in Low gear and I feathered the clutch and throttle enough to get off the hwy. Didnt help I had my 5th wheel. And now its at a stealership just north of Washington DC. Waiting to hear word back from them...

Kinda thinking about an Auto Conversion.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, Im tired of buying a new clutch assembly every 3 months.

99.5 F-350 CC Dually, 4x4 6 spd, 08' Mirrors, GearHead Tuning, AFE Stage II, Garret 38R, 4" Exhuast, some gauges, Ranch Hands / 2007 Forest River Work N Play 34' fifth wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 AM
BIG RED

Re: Transmission and Clutch nightmare

Im wanting to do a 6 speed swap... You wanna trade???

99 F250 4X4 7.3 powerstroke, Hybrid injectors By UNLIMITED, 6 position chip with Matts Tunes, K&N INTAKE, 9 INCH SUPER LIFT, 38 inch Nitto Mud Grapplers wrapped around 18 inch Karat rims, 5 INCH straight pipe,gauges, 07 Harley lites, Warn Hubs. H2e on the way 240,000 miles running strong..WV BEAST!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Travelin PhotoG

Pm replied to.

99.5 F-350 CC Dually, 4x4 6 spd, 08' Mirrors, GearHead Tuning, AFE Stage II, Garret 38R, 4" Exhuast, some gauges, Ranch Hands / 2007 Forest River Work N Play 34' fifth wheel

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 06:10 PM
PSN Veteran

When you had the clutch replaced, did you get a single-mass flywheel? If not, maybe the dual-mass has, er, undone itself.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Death Row Inmate #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
When you had the clutch replaced, did you get a single-mass flywheel? If not, maybe the dual-mass has, er, undone itself.
his truck came factory with SMF... i don't see any reason to want to swap to an auto really. it wasn't at fault of the trans setup when your fuel system blew out and snuffed the clutch. that has happened to me and i was able to drive on that clutch for a few months before i decided to change it just in case and it turned out it was still ok for use. not sure why your pilot bearing woulda gone out and done that to the seals. when i changed my clutch last time the pilot had no bearings in it at all and it didn't hurt anything surprisingly.

I guess it was the clutch that let loose this time??? What clutch are you running in it?

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Travelin PhotoG

I was running an AC Delco Clutch this time, all I could afford at the time it broke, then was covered under its parts warranty.

I talked to the dealer this morning, and they said the Sping in the pressure plate came out, and the fly wheel got chewed up in the break.

They are replacing the clutch assembly and flywheel, and throw out bearing, the front brake pads where shot and turning the rotors. $2300 total.

XL parts wont give me any money back on the clutch yet, they would just give me a new one, and of course the dealership dose not deal or ever herd of them so I cant get the parts warrantied out. Also the Heavy Duty Throw out bearing I bought from ford cannot be covered udner parts warranty, even though I have, and the other shop has the reciepts ( which I think it is BS).

Anyone want to buy a 99 PSD? lol

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Death Row Inmate #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonald View Post
I was running an AC Delco Clutch this time, all I could afford at the time it broke, then was covered under its parts warranty.

I talked to the dealer this morning, and they said the Sping in the pressure plate came out, and the fly wheel got chewed up in the break.

They are replacing the clutch assembly and flywheel, and throw out bearing, the front brake pads where shot and turning the rotors. $2300 total.

XL parts wont give me any money back on the clutch yet, they would just give me a new one, and of course the dealership dose not deal or ever herd of them so I cant get the parts warrantied out. Also the Heavy Duty Throw out bearing I bought from ford cannot be covered udner parts warranty, even though I have, and the other shop has the reciepts ( which I think it is BS).

Anyone want to buy a 99 PSD? lol
you can drop it off in my back pasture tomorrow night if your that tired of it. They are freaking raping you! $2300 for a clutch swap and brakes??? thats just outrageous. coulda bought 3 or 4 Valair clutches for that!!!! plus how long does their book say to change a clutch? only really takes a couple hours, but wonder what the book calls for. sucks you had to take it to the dealer though.. sorry your having problems with it, but it should work well for quite awhile now IF they do everything right and i hope they do!!!

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Travelin PhotoG

R & R on the tranny was 8.1

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 PM
PSN Veteran

8.1 seems outrageous, I could do that on my back at home and I'm slow as chhit!! sorry to hear about your problems I would hope you don't have any more issues for a long time.

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Travelin PhotoG

Also that their Labor rate on Diesels up here in Maryland is $127 an hour...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode