How hard is it to pull a 4x4 trans? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

How hard is it to pull a 4x4 trans?

I may have to pull my trans how hard is it and how long does it take? Special tools? Any tips? Thanks in advance, Roger.

96 f-250 5 speed, 4x4, 6637 intake, 3" down pipe to straight pipe, swamps tunes, Rosewood stage 1`s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: How hard is it to pull a 4x4 trans?

I would say atleast a day that way then you arent rushed, someone once said an ATV jack comes in handy.

02 f250
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 PM
PSN Veteran

it isnt much of a problem with a 3 ton floor jack and an extra pair or 2 of hands... IIRC there are no "specialty tools" involved.. just disconect your driveshafts and bring the tranny and transfer case down together

2009 F-250 FX4 Icon, Toyo, Fuel, Bilstein, IDP/SCT, Flopro

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Davey B

Atv jack works pretty good, but you can use a normal floor jack to. Try and find a buddy to help ya out. If its your first time pulling 1 it'll take you a little longer, but its really not that bad of a job. Have a few extensions on hand to get to the upper bellhousing bolts. Also, when i do it, i usually drop the tranny and t-case as 1 and seperate them once its all on the ground. If you have any ?'s feel free to pm me and i'll try and get them answered for ya as fast as possible. Good luck

95 CCLB- 238/100s, H2E, termy t500, wipe out pushrods, comp 910s, mbrp exhaust, bdp tunes, and 8" lift
99 ex cab - Rolled 3/10/10
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:43 PM
PSN Veteran

ive always seperated them, but that is just the way i found was the most easy for me.

never heard of the atv jack but it sounds like a good ide to try!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

An ATV jack is amazing for pulling a trans. No more balancing act. I have pulled/installed/rebuilt many transmissions over the years and an ATV jack which had never occured to me before it was suggested is in my opinion better than a trans jack adapter setup for a floor jack. Extremely stable. You should always seperate the t-case from the trans when pulling or installing the trans simply due to the added weight and the fact that the offset of the t-case will make the trans try to flip to the side.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 AM
PSN Local

Do not seperate it getting it back in is a pain that way, the t-case is not light puppy. I did mine that way and damn near blew a nut trying to get the t-case back in, wouldnt sit right in the jack. I do sugest at least 3 to 4 ft of extensions in order to reach the upper bell houseing bolts. The job only took me 2 hours out and 1.5 back in. Also pay attention to the slector cable, as thy are diffrent between the PTO trans and the NON PTO. You will also want to flush your trans cooler to make sure that all the old shaveings are out of the system. While your doing the trans now would be a good time to put a trans gauge in and always go with the deep pan, helps trans temps. Good luck
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM
PSN Local

Also if you are looking for a TC take a look at ARI Industries, ask for Tom he has billet triple disk TCs special order though $400. Bought one my self No issues.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

My trans is a manual, but thanks for the advice. It`s grinding in 3rd gear pretty bad and sometimes in fourth. I have another trans in the parts truck and a new clutch in the parts truck. I will probably be swapping them out real soon. Thanks Roger.

96 f-250 5 speed, 4x4, 6637 intake, 3" down pipe to straight pipe, swamps tunes, Rosewood stage 1`s
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM
"Miss me yet" George Bush

The offset of the t-case will make it try to roll off of a flor jack so be careful of that. I place a ratchet strap across the frame rails under the trans so if it falls then the straps catch it. If you use this method it can be done by yourself, but is not recommended.

AND YOU THOUGHT CARTER SUCKED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode