Shifting without clutch? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Shifting without clutch?

Is it rough on the a zf-6 to upshift without the clutch like in bigger trucks? I have done it some and goes into gear great and doesn't grind. Just don't wanna mess anything up if its rougher on synchronizers or not.

Thanks Tim

2000 F-250 ext cab 4x4 6 spd. Glowshift gauges(egt, boost, and fuel pressure), PHP tuned, DIY intake. MBRP 5 inch straight exhaust with 6 inch tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Powerstrokin'

Re: Shifting without clutch?

If it doesn't grind, and you aren't having to jam it in there i think it would be fine.. i can't really do it in my pickup (zf5) without grinding gears.. but with dads 2000 model sd i have no problems... its got over 300k on it and its still going so really dont think it would hurt much.

2001 Platinum with sum stuff done

1996 F250 I solded it

2008 lifted duramax dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE-STROKE View Post
Be a real man. Stop. Pull over. Then throw a stick in his spokes if you are that upset.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

I do it from time to time... As long as you have your rpms where they need to be when you do it you will be fine. You can even down shift like that if you know what you are doing.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Cummins?$?$?$?

My five spd is pretty moodie, most of the time you can but you have to be within 200 rpms of its "sweet spot" or you have to clutch. So ill give it a little push into gear and if it doesnt go ill just push n the clutch. If you're peddle to the floor i wouldn even think about not using the clutch.

'95 F350, reg cab, Stage 1'S, Air Dog, TS 6Po, IDM mod., on 35's... thanx BDP
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life

don't grind'm to find'm and u will have no problems doing it, its all in the feel of the shifter

2004 F-350 CCSB DRW Sport Package..... something else to spend money on
Proud Supporter of Race For The Warriors
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Alright, thanks guys. I haven't quite got the downshifting right yet. Prolly won't worry about it. Just curious on the upshifting.

2000 F-250 ext cab 4x4 6 spd. Glowshift gauges(egt, boost, and fuel pressure), PHP tuned, DIY intake. MBRP 5 inch straight exhaust with 6 inch tip
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholt34 View Post
Alright, thanks guys. I haven't quite got the downshifting right yet. Prolly won't worry about it. Just curious on the upshifting.
downshifting is just as easy as upshifting just do it in reverse order in everyway, when u wana go down a gear let u rpm's drop off to about 1300 and touch the accelerator ever so lightly and slip it outa gear then apply slight steady pressure to the accelerator to make the rpms move up slowly, put just a touch of pressure on the shifter and it will slide into gear when the rpm's are right, if i can teach a 14 year old kid that couldn't drive a manual when we got in the pickup to do this in a half hour im sure u can figure it out, good luck

2004 F-350 CCSB DRW Sport Package..... something else to spend money on
Proud Supporter of Race For The Warriors
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Learning it aint a big deal. I just don't think about it when downshifting not to push the clutch in. hahhaha

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Power Junky

I drove a truck for 2yrs that had a bad slave cylinder by up and down shifting w/o the clutch... Now starting from a dead stop... That's exciting.

Randy
2006 f250 4x4 lariat cc swb 6.0psd torqueshift elec tcase soon to have isspro gauges air/fire/tranny/ fuel pretty much stock

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:09 PM
King Dingaling

I do it on occasion in mine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode