Transmishion jolt - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Transmishion jolt

Hi,

I have another problem I need help with. When I start rolling from a dead stop as soon as I hit the gas I feel a jolt/clunk then everything is pretty normal. The truck is moving already so I know there is tension in the drive line. Also, when I really step on the gas I get a vibration in first and a little in second gear.

It's an automatic 2003 7.3L with about 55,000 miles and a recently rebuild trans. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:48 AM
PSN Local

Re: Transmishion jolt

Try greasing your slip yoke and check your u-joints . Hope this helps

aem intake,4" mbrp turboback exhaust,wicked wheel,sonnax shift kit,auto meter gauges-trans, boost,egts,last but not least DP-TUNER....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks
I was told to grease the leaf springs by the transmission guy and that didn't help. I have not been able to grease the slip joints yet but I did notice that when I have the tuner on tow setting it doesn't have the jolt. When I start moving it's smooth. Also, the U-joints feel good when I rock the truck by hand with it in gear. That's why I think that it's internal. What do you think?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:35 AM
The Ontaribertan.

I actually have this same problem on my '01. Kinda feels like something is slipping for a split second when you hit the gas? I'm interested in what it turns out to be.

SOLD -- 2000 F250 7.3 RegCab 4x4

2001 F250 SCSB 4x4 Lariat 120k -- 2.5" Levelled, Duelers on 20in Fuel Octanes, K&N Intake, MBRP 4", DP Tunes, AutoMeter Ultra-Lites.

1971 Chevelle 454 SS Clone -- Father/Son restoration
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

That sounds like you have torque converter shudder. Especially since you said you get it in first and somewhat in second. The clunking/jolt could be the clutches in the converter slipping then grabbing. It is real common for the converters to go in these trucks. I would look at your fluid real good for metal particles and or burnt smell dark color. If you find any of those flush the whole system and refill it and see if the problem goes away.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

You think that its just the converter or do I have clutch issues or pump issues and so on. I don't know much about the trans but I know that it's not going to last long doing what its doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode