What to do with Transmission? Need Advice! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What to do with Transmission? Need Advice!

Hey guys. Just got my truck...it's a 2000 F350 with 70k original miles. I was backing up a 3000 lbs enclosed trailer up a decent little incline and the tranny temp got up to about 195. I was going forward and back trying to get the trailer perfect. Anyway, i noticed trans fluid pouring out of the torque converter. After the truck cooled down I added some fluid and it hasn't leaked since. But I haven't had it in that kind of bind since that day. One mechanic looked at it and said that he thought my TC input was wallowed out where it fits into the pump and once the trans reaches a certain pressure, it forced fluid past the seal. He recommends a new TC, looking through the pump (while we're in there) and a transco tugger kit (also since we're in there). What are your thoughts? Has anybody ever had this issue before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Stone Crusher

Re: What to do with Transmission? Need Advice!

Might be a bum pump seal. Change it out when you do the Tugger kit.

01 F250 XLT 4X4 Auto trans, Dark Highland Green, Green fuzzy dice,Di Pricol Optix gauges,Dura Lite air cleaner,CCV mod,coolant filter,,AIC,XM Satilite radio.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post
Has anybody ever had this issue before?
It is a common issue. The cure is a new seal.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Are you talking about the brass seal that the TC sleeves into...that is attached to the female end of the pump?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Stone Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post
Are you talking about the brass seal that the TC sleeves into...that is attached to the female end of the pump?
That would be the bushing. The seal is the gray rubber part on the pump.

01 F250 XLT 4X4 Auto trans, Dark Highland Green, Green fuzzy dice,Di Pricol Optix gauges,Dura Lite air cleaner,CCV mod,coolant filter,,AIC,XM Satilite radio.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
PSN Local

i had the same exact problem not to long ago. it was the front main seal. i was backing a boat up my driveway on an incline, same situation. fluid started pouring out. new seal problem solved.

reason it doesn't come out on level ground is there isnt a whole lot of oil moving around and high pressure in there, but when your backed up on an incline it sits there and with that little bit of pressure it comes out if the seal is worn.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
It is a common issue. The cure is a new seal.
Yes this is a pretty common post. There is a better seal out there but I am not sure where to point you for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode