filler plug is striped out? need help please - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

filler plug is striped out? need help please

hey guys , i went to check the fluid levels on my 97 250 4x4 zf5, the filler plug is striped out, the 3/8 ext. just spins inside the plug. i borrowed a set of screw extractors and drove the 1/2 one in as far as it would go, put a socket on it and when i put some pretty good pressure on it , the extractor just comes off.can the transmission case be damaged by hitting the plug area too hard? seems to me that i could drive the extractor in a little more but im afraid of breaking the case. i am thinking of putting a bolt on the plug and spot welding, has anyone tried this? sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: filler plug is striped out? need help please

Bummer I know this does not solve getting the plug out but you always fill throught the top. If you check my sig photos in truck folder there is right up on putting in a short shift and that will help in getting the top off. Also recommend using Redline MTF it ia awesome fluid

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thanks for the input, but i can see at least 2 problems going that route. 1-is probably 30 min. at least taking the top off and putting it back on ( hopefully not breaking anything in the process) 2- not knowing when the tranny is full? i just want some advice on how to remove the plug without breaking something.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:02 PM
PSN Veteran

do you have access to an air chisel? sometimes you can spin it with that. before welding, I'd try to heat the case up, then try the extractor again. welding is an option but have to be very careful not to weld the plug in place.

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM
PSN Local

I had the same problem in my old F150. I never used those screw extractors before and when I did the extractor it just came off. My buddy came over and tried, and it came right off. Im not sure if there is a trick to using them or not, but my buddy always uses them and he got it to work for him, whereas I failed.

00 F350
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thanks guys for the help, retried the screw extractors again, this time it worked. had to jack the driver side up about 6 in. and use a 3' cheater to break it loose( i cannot believe it was put on that tight) anyways got it done. i went with mobil 1 syn. 3.5 in the tranny 3 in the tc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode