OBS getting a ZF6 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

OBS getting a ZF6

ok guys, wanting to install a ZF6 into my '94, looks like the hydraulic clutch components are not the same, so I'm hoping I can use the factory clutch master for the '94, and couple it to the slave for the 2000 ZF6, and hoping that someone else has already done this and know what I'm up against... next issue is the trans input shaft has the failed pilot bearing damage done on it, how is the repair sleeve kit working out for this? or do I bite the bullet and just replace the input shaft?? trans seems to shift fine, rolled it over in every gear and the is little noise, thinking about connecting and electric motor to spin it up good and then cycle through every gear, it is supposed to have about 250,000 miles on and said to work good, owner happened on a deal for a trans with much less mileage on to go into his rig. he pulled his trans originally for a clutch job, and then found the bad pilot after the fact, was his only reason for putting a cheap lower mileage trans back in. last thing is that the truck was auto, and is now manual, and there is a 2003 E450 "F" code 7.3l power stroke going in, do I need to worry about missed signals to the ecu from the missing auto tans from the van??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: OBS getting a ZF6

The zf6 also requires a cooler and you will have to modify your transmission tunnel "hump" in your floor boards.
Your 94 auto trans is not computer controllled you should be able to swap in the manual without needing much wiring or worries about missing auto trans functions.
You can try a search for obs auto to manual conversion, that should have you covered.
I skipped wanting the Zf6 because it has no real advantage over the zf5 I already have, except for a second, second gear. 1st gear and overdrive are the same (or dang close to) the zf5

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

the pcm I will likely be using out of the van, which is an electronic trans, so it sounds like I just need to remove the range sw of the trans and leave it plugged into harness in park.
not finding much in the way of a cooler, looks like it just gets plumbed to the rad anyway... pretty handy with hard pipe so I'll just bend up a new set of lines for it.

truck is getting a 1.5" body lift, that should clear the trans I'm hoping, or be dang close!

T case is manual shift, so that should be a breeze.

Thanks again!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 AM
PSN Local

This has been done successfully. There are a lot more details, best to search for the thread. I recall the block adapter plate is different, the clutch spline is different. Driveline length Crossmember. Last of all I believe the spline on the transfer case coupler is different so the 99 up transfer case was installed as well. Don't quote me on this, look it up. This is the off the top of my head memory of something I considered doing. Definitly need more donor parts than just the trans itself. Shifter stub is another IIRC. I wouldn't do it without a donor truck.

Also for the record, the input shaft pilot bearing area repair sleeve kit works if it is the one with a hardened ground and polished thick race to install on the shaft stub and a new larger ID roller bearing.

96 F250 CCSB 7.3 PSD 4x4 5spd 3.55 LS Bought 7/03 D60 Bilsteins 315/75/16 Generals 5" straightpipe AC Injectors (stage 1) Valair NMU70263-01 350 hp AMP Powersteps
2 Harleys 4 Horses about 50 cows +-
86 F250 6.9 C6 430,000 mi + 50 diesel trucks Diesel Mechanic 38 yrs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode