Little help for the other side of the world - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Little help for the other side of the world

Ok little background I’ll make it quick ish. My wife and I are currently overlanding through South America, at the no money we’re in Cusco , Peru. We’re driving my early 1999 F-250 CCSB, 7.3, 4x4 with automatic transmission. Been great so far. Problem at hand is as follows.... I upgraded the transmission cooler before we left for the trip to the 6.0 cooler that has 1/2” lines. Now when coming down one of the many and crazy mountain passes I went to hit the gas on te next incline and had no gears. Nothing forward or reverse. Turns out where the factory 3/8” transmission line connects to the barbed fittings that takes it to 1/2” came apart and dumped about half my fluid right there on the road. (I followed a small drop trail of fluid back up the road and found nothing major)
So seems as if when I came coasting down the hill and mushed on the gas to get up the next hill the pressure caused the fittings to blow off.

Anyway, panic panic panic. Found he leak, hooked everything back together tossed in the 4 qts of extra fluid i had and I was able to get the truck off to the side of the road without being killed by crazy colectivo driver or run away semi.

I hitchhiked to the next town and bought what transmission fluid I could find which was Dexron III ( hope they’re compatible ish because I use Mercon V) topped it off and two hours driving later all seems while from the outside. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the pan off and see what I can.

My question is can any of you fine folks help me out of what parts are needed for a transmission rebuild if this does indeed become my reality? I’ll be putting some legwork into this in the next couple days but thought I’d start here. Any good kits? I’m not looking for crazy upgrades just basic rebuild. My truck is stock except for intake and small lift to fit 35’s. And I’d like to keep it that way. Plus I’ll have to have these parts shipped to Peru so that’s another bit of fun to figure out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwanderinthrough View Post
Ok little background I’ll make it quick ish. My wife and I are currently overlanding through South America, at the moment we’re in Cusco , Peru. We’re driving my early 1999 F-250 CCSB, 7.3, 4x4 with automatic transmission. Been great so far. Problem at hand is as follows.... I upgraded the transmission cooler before we left for the trip to the 6.0 cooler that has 1/2” lines. Now when coming down one of the many and crazy mountain passes I went to hit the gas on te next incline and had no gears. Nothing forward or reverse. Turns out where the factory 3/8” transmission line connects to the barbed fittings that takes it to 1/2” came apart and dumped about half my fluid right there on the road. (I followed a small drop trail of fluid back up the road and found nothing major)
So seems as if when I came coasting down the hill and mushed on the gas to get up the next hill the pressure caused the fittings to blow off.

Anyway, panic panic panic. Found he leak, hooked everything back together tossed in the 4 qts of extra fluid i had and I was able to get the truck off to the side of the road without being killed by crazy colectivo driver or run away semi.

I hitchhiked to the next town and bought what transmission fluid I could find which was Dexron III ( hope they’re compatible ish because I use Mercon V) topped it off and two hours driving later all seems while from the outside. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the pan off and see what I can.

My question is can any of you fine folks help me out of what parts are needed for a transmission rebuild if this does indeed become my reality? I’ll be putting some legwork into this in the next couple days but thought I’d start here. Any good kits? I’m not looking for crazy upgrades just basic rebuild. My truck is stock except for intake and small lift to fit 35’s. And I’d like to keep it that way. Plus I’ll have to have these parts shipped to Peru so that’s another bit of fun to figure out.
edit
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:32 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: Little help for the other side of the world

Well they're both fully synthetic, so thats good. I doubt they are technically compatible, but I would just drain, new filter, and re-fill with V before anything else. I wouldn't panic yet. Hope this helps!

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 5.8L XLT Tan leather interior. Soon to be swapped onto a 6.0 frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

If all looks ok in the pan tomorrow I’m just going to flush it and fill it. Hope for the best until we’re done with our trip

Thanks for the reply! No panic yet that will come if I have to find a reliable automatic transmission mechanic in Peru to work on a unit that doesn’t exist in South America. Got a feeling I’ll be doing most the work myself except for the heavy lifting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode