Trying to save a 4R100 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Trying to save a 4R100

Hi everyone Im new to this site but I've read a lot from it.
I've got a 2000 f250 with 136k. Itís been babied its entire life minus having 38Ē tires. Anyway I was driving it New Yearís with an empty trailer and OD off when I noticed the OD light flashing. NOTE: I did not have a transmission temp gauge (I do now). I immediately pulled over. I had transmission fluid pouring out from the bellhousing. I let it cool, put 7 quarts of mercon V in it and drove it on a trailer to get it home. The first thing I did was drop the pan. The pan looked nice and clean minus a little sludge on the magnet and the fluid being dark. Transmission was flushed 40k miles ago by ford. I then started Marks Transmission Flush procedure. Right off the bat I had transmission fluid spraying out of the return side of the transmission (not the return hose). At that point I found that my cooler lines where completely clogged and the bypass tube was working. The bypassing/spraying would only happen when the transmission was in gear, not park or neutral. I blew out the cooler lines with compressed air and replaced the 7.3 OTA cooler with the 6.0 cooler. I performed a flow test on the return line and it filled a quart bottle in 15 seconds. I then took it for a drive. 15-20 minutes into my drive I noticed the temp coming up on my obd2 scanner/gauge (230F). I made it home and found my OTW cooler completely clogged. At this point I just wanted my truck back so I bypassed my radiator cooler and just ran the 6.0 cooler. Transmission shifted into all gears nice and smooth,and the temperature never got above 177 BUT in both 3rd and 4th it randomly lock and unlock the TC a few times.
Obviously there is something clogging the lines which at this point I think is my TC coming apart. What should my next step be? Replace the TC and keep my fingers crossed that the rest is fine, save up for a new tranny and not waste any more time or money on this one, install a inline tranny filter and ride this one until it blow, etc? At this point Iím looking for some advice/guidance. Sorry for the long story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Trying to save a 4R100

The way to fix it so that you only have to do this once is to replace the transmission, torque converter, radiator, and the 6.0L cooler. You CANNOT clean the radiator cooler or the 6.0L cooler well enough that each of them could be reused. They are both scrap.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the quick response Mark. I was afraid that you would say that. I have a few questions for you as far as going forward.

Iíve read in a few post that youíre not a fan of the bypass tube delete, due to the fact if the cooler lines clog the tube will lube the rear of the transmission and give you the opportunity to try and correct the problem before the transmission fries itself. What would cause the lines to clog and still allow you to save the transmission?

What did I say to make you think the transmission is done for?

Iíve been doing some research on the transmission inline filters to prevent this from happening in the future and have noticed that you really donít recommend these either. Is it only because of the added resistance to the cooling system?

What would be the downfall of running both the bypass delete and the transmission inline filter? At this point the added resistance of the filter wouldnít matter other than putting a little more strain on the transmission pump, correct? I understand the fact that if the lines completely clog the rear would not be getting lubricated. However, if that happens the transmission probably has bigger problems and probably needs to be rebuilt or replaced like mine.

Iím not questioning your response at all and I complete agree that those are the things that I will have to do to fix the truck and feel good/trust it again. As of now Iím just trying to use this as a learning experience and see what I can do to prevent this in the future. Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate your time.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 02:26 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The lines can only clog if the trans generates enough debris. The only way it can generate enough debris is if the trans has a serious problem. But the lines can also be damaged and plug, and if that happens the trans dies if you have a bypass delete.

A filter won't add any strain to the pump. It will reduce the flow through the cooler line, which is used to lube the rear half of the trans. If the restriction isn't too much it won't matter. If it is too much it's new transmission time.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode