96 e40d has a pulse after shifting into 4th with overdrive on or off - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

96 e40d has a pulse after shifting into 4th with overdrive on or off

Here is what I have : 96 7.3 auto 2wd. I changed the fluid 2 times on this truck. It currently has mobil 1 full synthetic atf in it. My speedo would bounce a couple mph 55-60 so I changed it with a used one from ebay. Still bounces the same. Not sure if thats an issue or not. This truck will have a vibration once i get into 4th gear. It will do in with overdrive off or on. Its like a pulse, pause with no vibe, pulse, pause with no vibe. Imagine if you are counting, on every even number it pulses a shudder/vibration then every odd number its fine. This started not long after i put a php hydra tuner on the truck with it on 40 hp tow. I have tried it in stock form and it still does it. Any ideas on what I should do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:05 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 96 e40d has a pulse after shifting into 4th with overdrive on or off

The speedometer bouncing Could be a bad speed sensor in the rear differential.
It could also be something going bad in the driveline. Check your universal joints and the center support bearing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So next on my list is changing the rear diff fluid. I have no clue when it was done last. Truck has 165k miles. I will check that sensor when im doing that. Also its a regular cab long bed so i dont have a cardan joint. I just crawled under the truck and if i push and pull hard on the driveshaft close to the tail on the transmission it moves a little, you can hear it too. Also there is fluid on the rubber tail piece part of the transmission. Back at the diff that is rock solid. No play.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthemmer View Post
This truck will have a vibration once i get into 4th gear. It will do in with overdrive off or on.
Fourth gear *IS* overdrive. When the overdrive is turned off it cannot shift into fourth gear.

I suspect you're confusing the torque converter locking with fourth gear. Your pulse is probably an engine miss.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Okay so it must be third when I always notice it. It seems to run pretty well. Idles fine and has power too. Things I have recently done are new glow plugs, new passenger side valve cover gasket, new lift pump, 3" down pipe, and my programmer. Is this something I should get a code reader for? Ive been trying to talk myself into buying an edge cs2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode