Bypassed Transcooler?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zmann

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
Bypassed Transcooler??

Hey guys got a problem. Today while changing the tie rod on the pittman arm i managed to snap off the nipple on the main rad for the transmission cooler part of it. No way in heel can i get the busted nipple out of the rad. So i bypassed it and basically ran the trans oil up to the small external trans cooler. I mean small, 1 loop maybe 12” long. Anyway long story short i got my bike in the back of my truck, was going to bring it to my fathers place to store it over winter. Its roughly 2 hours drive each way. My question is will it be alright for me to take the drive tomorrow and get the main rad reconnected later this week or should i just hold off until i can get the rad line fixed??

Just for info its showing a forcast of 8 degrees celcius tomorrow. Truck is a 97 F350 with E4OD auto trans

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box
Just starting to pick at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:13 PM
alleged moderator

Re: Bypassed Transcooler??

i would not. at minimum i would but an external trans cooler and mount it in behind the grill in front of the AC condenser.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:37 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

In cool weather with a light load, you probably won't have a problem.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
So i just checked a few guys i know who have scrapped trucks and i can get a trans cooler from a 6.0L. Would this be enough of a cooler for daily driving. I dont do a whole lot of towing, just im soon heading back to work for 2 months and will be all snow’d up by the time i get back. So if i can get the 6.0 cooler in now i should be good to go until warmer weather comes to haul my full radiator.

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 PM
alleged moderator

6.0 trans cooler is actually a preferred upgrade to the old body style truck trans cooler

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Administrator

the 6.o cooler is great but a used 6.0 cooler is scary
they are all but impossible to flush even when done bi directionally and with the proper chemicals it seems like debris will
keep spitting out

a lot of unscrupulous people will sell their old cooler when their tranny fails ( ford requires the Air to oil cooler be changed )

get a new one

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
I will be pulling the tranny cooler myself in the morning from the doner truck. The guy has a few of em so i will basically pick what one i think is the best of them all.

Im planning on just a quick flush through with a few liters of tranny fluid before i installed it. Anything i should look for other than the obvious smashed fins and milkshake coolant inside it?

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:41 AM
Administrator

look for silver in the tranny fluid
and the canned trans flush is ten times better at flushing the cooler than the trans fluid
just get it all out before you hook it up

masakimm likes this.

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
Yea wish i coukd get my hands on that stuff tomorrow. Had a quick googlize of cooler cleaners that would be available in my area and cant find anything. I know someone has to have something similiar to that stuff. But tomorrow is a holiday to the best of my knowledge here so most likly most places will be closed. I hoping i can find something but im looking for a quickish fix as i still have my ktm in the back of my truck outside (today was 2nd day) and i could get the call for work any day now (when ever the boat is full and headed to Nuuk to unload) so kinda wanna get my bike out to storage asap lol.

If i can get a good cooler with clear fluid in the morning and i cant get that cleaner stuff yet then a few liters to the waste oil bucket it will be. So i can get her on the road. And like one guy mentioned earlier its fairly chilled here now (4 degrees celcius tomorrow) and i got basically no load on the truck so as she stands now i could probably do the run with no problem. But this 6.0 L cooler is just me not wanting to take the chance that i bugger the trans and end up having to pull it and rebuild it before i get my own garage built.

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
Also as a side not. Spent some more time on my back under her today fighting to get the nipple out and still not an option. I think my plan now is just to leave the main rad bypassed for the time being and when warmer weather hits pull the rad and get the nipple out then.

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode