2Likes
  • 1 Post By THop
  • 1 Post By THop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
1997 F350 E4OD

Hey guys got a few questions. First off truck has less than 60,000KM so not a high mileage tranny. On to my questions.

My tranny is leaking fluid from around the base gasket i think. Every bolt head has red fluid on it. Also my basepan has a drain plug in it (big thick rubber washer on it? Is that normal?) so does that mean my basepan has been changed in the past? Ive read alot where people have not had a drain plug. Should i get a new gasket for it or see if it is the reusable one?

While my pan is off i want to change the filter and also change my shifter shaft seal just to be sure its not leaking. Is it best to get these seals from Ford or are there aftermarket ones which are better.

Ive been thinking of putting a shift kit in it while im in there. Im pretty mechanically inclinded so that part of it is no problem. I do maybe 10-15 tows a year with the 5th wheel camper. Other than that its running empty or lugging around a quad/etc here or there. Nothing major. Is there one kit that is better than the rest or more suited to me? Or who would be the best shop to call to get some guidance?

Lastly i was reading up on this last night came accross some older forum threads (on another forum) about something they were calling ‘The Cure’ what exactly is this supposed to be and was it a home brew fix or a kit you could buy? All i can find on it so far is a kit from Sonnax (spelling) called ‘The Sure Cure’. Im just looking to get some smoother shifts and keep this old girl running better.

Thanks for any info or direction guys!!

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box
Just starting to pick at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
alleged moderator

Re: 1997 F350 E4OD

i have never seen a drain plug in a stock E4OD pan.
it may be an aftermarket pan though, or someone added the drain plug.
i do not reuse gaskets.
before dropping the pan see if the bolts are loose, or if the threads are stripped in the holes.
if threads are stripped, you are going to either have to insert heli-coils, or drill and tap for next size larger bolts.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
I never heed to notice today while i was under the truck if it had a ford number on it or not, rain forcast for the next 2 days and see’n as i dont have a garage to put the truck in il be waiting till thursday to get under her again.

So even if it is a reusable gasket you just replace anyway? Good insurance i guess. Really hope i dont have to bust out the helicoils, i always have fun with those at work as the opposite shift seem to forget that aluminum or brass is not as strong as steel. 1/2” drive rackets, johnson bars and hammers are the norm for my counterparts. Hell ive rebuilt generator engines using 3/8” drive gear except for head bolts and main bearing caps. Everyone always wants bigger gear.
tjctransport likes this.

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 PM
alleged moderator

bigger is better don't ya know!!
the bigger the tool, the less work ya gots to do!
i rebuilt a 327 chebby with a 1/4 and 3/8 inch ratchet set, and a 3/8 torque wrench just to prove it can be easily done.

tom

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
Bigger helps when removing at times. Heat when seized and actually using never seize when reassembly also helps disassembly next time. Also taking the time to clean and prep. But those points are lost on alot of people.
tjctransport likes this.

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM
don't play well w others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
bigger is better don't ya know!!
the bigger the tool, the less work ya gots to do!
i rebuilt a 327 chebby with a 1/4 and 3/8 inch ratchet set, and a 3/8 torque wrench just to prove it can be easily done.
LIAR
we used bailing wire and a 3 lb hammer.

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:34 PM
alleged moderator

can't give away all the secrets first time out the door with newbees!!!

tom

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

Well had some intimate time with the underside of the truck today. Took a pic of my trans pan. The drain plug has a big rubber seal on it, it doesnt look right to me. Also the trans cover has been permatex'd in place by some previous doofus. And i got a slight leak on the seal for my shift shaft. So i guess tomorrow i will be heading to ford to order some new pieces. Thinking a pan, gasket, shaft seal, and filter.

Drain plug

Big globs of permatex comming out where the seal should be

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:16 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Well that's not an e4od pan e4od did not have a drain plug it is most likely a 4r100 pan which will fit the e4od and holds a little more and has a drain plug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode