• 1 Post By BBslider001
  • 1 Post By ​ DieselDC
  • 1 Post By Copperhead
  • 1 Post By Pro Logger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4r100 Rebuild or Replace

Hi all, new to the forum. I know this has probably been beaten to death but I’m trying to figure out the best option for a transmission.
I’ve got a 2002 F-250 7.3 4x4 and have recently purchased a larger 5w camper(42’). Dry weight on the camper is around 12k. The last 2 outings with the camper have got my transmission to overheated levels, to the point I had to pull over to cool down. I installed a larger trans cooler after the first overheating issue and it helped a little but ultimately, I know I’m due for a rebuild/replacement at 300k on the original tranny.
So my question is, what is the best option for a “bulletproof” transmission built for towing. I know a lot comes down to what kind of budget I have. To answer that, I don’t really have a budget, I just want the best bang for my buck. I don’t want to spend $6k on a transmission that I can get for $3k. And I don’t want to pay for stuff I don’t need. I’m not competing or pulling sleds. Just want to get my camper up and down the road with no issues. I’ve got plenty of power up front, just need to get it to the ground.
Do I rebuild with certain components or go with a drop in reman?
I’ve done some looking and I keep seeing BTS Transmission’s come up for towing.

Sorry to be long winded, just trying to give as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 AM
sooty

Re: 4r100 Rebuild or Replace

John woods or BTS

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Pro Logger likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 03:14 AM
Project Shamu

DieselSite, hands down for me. I might be a little bias because I own one though lol.
Pro Logger likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
DieselSite, hands down for me. I might be a little bias because I own one though lol.

@Lt.Dan
Do you tow with yours? If so, what kind of weight are you pulling and what distances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:26 AM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Logger View Post
@Lt.Dan
Do you tow with yours? If so, what kind of weight are you pulling and what distances?

I actually got it in preparation for a future trailer. I'm planning on getting a 5th wheel, around 35' for the family. So far the heaviest trailer that has been on it was only around 5,000lbs, made a climp up about 7,000 ft from Sea level up to Shaver Lake. Winding roads and a couple 8% grades, it never skipped a beat. On the way down, I just turned off OD and coasted the whole way down, only had to touch the brakes a few times on the 8% downhills. Never got over 200*.

When speaking with Dan, the salesmen, before I bought the trans, I told him I plan on having 20-24k lbs GCVW, and he practically laughed and dared me to do it.
Pro Logger likes this.

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Native Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Logger View Post
Just want to get my camper up and down the road with no issues. Iíve got plenty of power up front, just need to get it to the ground.
Do I rebuild with certain components or go with a drop in reman?
Iíve done some looking and I keep seeing BTS Transmissionís come up for towing.
The 4R100 is a get what you pay for. Do not skimp here. Yes, BTS or Dieselsite are about the best you can get. If budget is not a concern, get the best available and don't look back. The 4R100 isn't cheap to build and is expensive to fix, not to mention being stranded while towing. Been there, done that. BTS would get my vote simply because he knows the tuning and can get the truck running 100% with the new trans.
Pro Logger likes this.

Byron
1999 F-350, 4x4, ZF6, AFE CAI, 4" DP and Exhaust by Diamond Eye, Fuel Rail FX by RiffRaff, Cat Deleted, Cody tuned
1997 F-350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 PSD, Heavily Modded SOLD
1995 F-350 CCLB SRW, ZF 5-Speed, 4x4, Stock, SOLD
1997 F-250 SC Flatbed, ZF 5-Speed, Stock, SOLD
2010 K-Z Sportster Toyhauler 37K, Various horse and stock trailers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Bts b/c I have one.

Your own rebuilds b/c Iíve had a few done as well (all updates).

Dieselsite b/c they actually reply to you and their transmissions are tanks (i donít have one but I bet you money itís no pos).

Those are the three options Iíve done so far. Full billet build for a diy is around $4800. Full billet from dieselsite is $6500. If youíre not concerned about money as youíll say, youíll be surprised what dieselsite can do for you for a lot less.

Infact, Iím building one off an excursion and converting it to 4x4 with all updates and a dieselsite billet input.

óóóóósignatureóóóóó
~Donít overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
Pro Logger likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM
PSN Local

Chris Garrett,.....owner of A1 Transmission in Northern Georgia,..... is one of the best in the business. 4R100's & E4OD's are his specialty. From mild to wild,........doesn't matter. Backs up his work too. He's the ONLY guy I'll go to. (770) 965-0035

FWIW,....
He's not near as well known as some,.....but his work rivals BTS, John Woods, Dorsey and may others.

https://www.facebook.com/A1-Transmis...QMS6z1jLjCh9gA
Pro Logger likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks all for the input. Iím going to mull it over for a few days before I make a decision. I donít have a long trip planned for a couple months so Iíve got some time.

Lt.Dan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode