5r110 help !! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

5r110 help !!

I have an 05 f-250 automatic with several codes thrown 715,717,718,730 Just bought the autoengenutiy with the ford pkg and could use some help figuring out what to look at for a diagnosis. any help would be appreciated .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 12:28 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: 5r110 help !!

All of those codes are caused by either a bad Turbine Speed Sensor (TSS) or a damaged wire between the PCM and the TSS. It's one of those two.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I replaced both tss &oss and for a 20 mile test drive it shifted perfect. parked it for the night and in the morning it didn't make it to the first stop sign , no more 715 - 718 codes but the 730 returned. it's shifting erratic , starts in 2nd sometimes downshifts to First back to second. Sometimes it'll go straight from 2nd to 4th which I have never seen fourth before today. It'll reach 6th but then bounces out of six pretty steadily won't hold. Not really sure where to go from here I have the AE with the Ford package really not sure what to look at to finish the diagnosis

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 01:42 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Minicozzi View Post
Not really sure where to go from here I have the AE with the Ford package really not sure what to look at to finish the diagnosis
I think where to go is right here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
All of those codes are caused by either a bad Turbine Speed Sensor (TSS) or a damaged wire between the PCM and the TSS. It's one of those two.
You've replaced the TSS (and the OSS, but I don't know why) and it didn't fix it. Next, you need to diagnose what's wrong with the wiring between the TSS and the PCM.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Whats the correct procedure for checking the wiring between the PCM and TSS sensor ? Is it best to pull the harness Or ? I did find the PIDs for the input & output shaft on the AE and monitored for a bit , looks ok there . Thanks for the INFO !!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:40 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Unplug the harness at the PCM and the TSS. I suppose you could also check the OSS, but since there isn't a code for it the PCM is seeing good data, so there is no problem there.

Probe the BACK of each connector. DO NOT put a probe in the end of the connector that makes the connection, that spreads the pins and creates new problems. Check the circuits for continuity, short to ground, and short to power.

Mark

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I appreciate the help !! , this is my only ride so I probably won't get to dig into that until Sunday , question ? would this wiring problem also be causing the popping in and out of 6th Gear ?
post #8 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Yes, it could cause that.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode