V10 tranny cooler hook up help please!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

V10 tranny cooler hook up help please!!

So installed the cooler in the front bumper of sig truck and hooked 3/8 id lines to it. This V10 cooler has the threaded flared block (actually nipple end) on the cooler. I bought a length of steel brake line (threaded nut behind flared steel line) and custom bent it to fit into cooler block. Hooked everything up (removed old auxiliary cooler first) finished this up at 12:00 last night......

So with this V10 cooler there is no specific flow direction is there?

Also when hooking up do I need to bleed the air out of the cooler at the return line at tranny (rear steel line fitting on tranny) ?

Reason I ask is...hooked it up and took for a test drive....(did not bleed lines to tranny) lines leaked at rubber hose to custom bent line interface (I think) and dumped the fluid........so towed it home at 1:30 AM early this morning....

So will refill check repair the leaking line (if thats what it is) and see what happens.....hopefully will not have ruined the tranny.....basically bumped it onto the sidewalk when tranny was slipping didn't rev engine or anything....at that point figure I had a leak.....what an ass......

This is not a stock tranny...PO had Precision (stallion does that sound correct) TC and tugger kit in it......

What a knucklehead.....not sure why I didn't check the lines first.....yeesh.... just late and not thinking clearly....

your suggestions are welcome...

Thanks in advance....

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: V10 tranny cooler hook up help please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
So with this V10 cooler there is no specific flow direction is there?
No, there is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Also when hooking up do I need to bleed the air out of the cooler at the return line at tranny (rear steel line fitting on tranny) ?
There is no need to bleed the line. It will push the air out of the line as soon as the engine starts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks Mark ended up being a split in the new 300 psi rubber line I use
so just hooked back up old cooler as had to take Son to alpine ski race 5 hours drive and don't trust "new lines"

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Seems to drive ok topped off with 8 litres of oil to full and existing oil is not black and did not smell burnt was fretting that I had burnt it up

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Brake line..what is the ID?

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSWIZ View Post
Brake line..what is the ID?
Hey Cary I believe it is 3/8 OD as it just slides into the rubber 3/8" line I used to connect to stock cooler. I think the previous lines to other (Po installed cooler) were 5/16" and it appears the stock barbs on the in rad cooler are 5/16"

Hope to pull the front bumper off in the next day or so to repair split line and to see what happened, somewhat perplexed as to why the 300 psi burst pressure lines I put on split? It was pretty price hose so shall be interesting to see why/what failed for sure.....

jrc

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
PSN Veteran

i've never seen a steel brake line 3/8"...where did ya find one?

Some Rad coolers you can replace the fitting. We also have a 3/8" trans hard line kit

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Cary I probably stubbed it calling it steel brake line tubing......the guys at the my Local parts store got me a length of steel line 3/8 that was double flared at both ends with fitting that fit into to the V10 cooler blocks....I had thought they said it was steel brake line tubing and I may have mis understood. On the V10 Coolers, I have seen two types one has barb fittings with a short length of tube affixed so that the flexible lines connect at one end of the cooler. The one I have has threaded blocks at each end of the cooler with provisions for compression tube fittings. So I sourced 3/8 steel tube bent a coupel of pieces with 90 degree bends so that I could connect my flex lines at the center bottom of the cooler. Have snapped some pix and will post when I have it fully operational....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode