Cleaning oil off a clutch - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cleaning oil off a clutch

My HPOP exploded on my 7.3 manual trans, and after I got it back from the shop the clutch will slip in fifth gear above 75% throttle as soon as the RPM is over 2000 or so and I’m making some power. I suspect oil got on the clutch as it was pretty much everywhere else. I’ve read about using brake cleaner but I’m not sure the best way to go about actually getting it on the clutch with-out actually pulling the transmission out. Any ideas on how to spray it in there or other ideas how to get the oil off like pouring a 2 liter of coke into the valley and letting that run down there onto the clutch (yes I did hear that once.) Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:03 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Cleaning oil off a clutch

To clean it completely you are going to have to pull it.

There are no shortcuts to it. Over time if it is oil it should burn or wear off.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:28 AM
PSN Local

Replace it .Once oil gets into the lining very hard to get rid of, it will not operate smoothly under a load.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:33 AM
don't play well w others

Use caution with brake cleaner and heat. It makes a highly toxic gas that will kill you in seconds.
tjctransport likes this.

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:06 AM
alleged moderator

as said, the only way to properly clean it is to pull the trans.
and if you are going to pull the trans, you might as well just replace the disc.

what year truck?
if it is an 97 or older, it most likely has a dual mass flywheel, and the DMF is probably bad.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It’s an 02. Thanks for the heads up about the toxic gas. At least I know it’s probably just gonna need a new clutch so I can start planning for that. It’s still totally drivable for now so Im gonna hold off on the full replacement for now and I’ll update the thread in case anyone is curious and for posterity.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:26 AM
PSN Local

If that has a dual mass flywheel I would look that over real close too. In my 93 I had it slip pulling a load if got into it, flywheel was shot.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustybumpers View Post
Use caution with brake cleaner and heat. It makes a highly toxic gas that will kill you in seconds.
Good caution.
Though that's the chlorinated kind.
Non-chlorinated is good to go.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:25 AM
Master BS'er

I believe it makes phosgene gas. Never had a problem with it though and I've been breathing the sh*t for years. Flashing off of manifolds, caught a few things on fire, even flame throwing and cought a dudes hair on fire once. True story by the way, his wife made me pay for his hair cut. Lol, oh man, I just now remembered the sight. He was running around screaming like a girl with flames coming off his head. Swear to God that's true. It was hilarious. That was actually carb cleaner though.

Anyways, thankfully i still got my lungs so far.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:28 AM
Master BS'er

He didn't even know that his hair was on fire. He just saw his jacket on fire so he screamed and put that out. Then he's standing there with his jacket smoking and his head is still on fire and he didn't even know it. I had to run over there and tap it out for him. Then his jacket and head were both smoking and he sat there in silence for about ten seconds. I think he was shocked I had actually done it. I was shocked too, I didn't expect him to go up like a dead Christmas tree.

He so pissed he went home for the day.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode