ZF6 loud knock in 4th gear only - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ZF6 loud knock in 4th gear only

Hi, need some ideas on what could be wrong with this zf6 transmission. The transmission is out of a 2006 Ford 6.0 liter, don't know the milage. I just finished swapping this transmission into my 2005 dodge cummins and now driving it, it knocks very loud in 4th gear. I just called the guy I bought the transmission from and he said it never did that when he had it, so either he's lying or I screwed something up while putting it in but I don't think so cause it went together nice a smooth. I don't think it would be clutch cause it only does it in 4th. It is louder when making power, and when just coasting it is pretty much quiet but can still kinda hear it. The oil was already drained when I got it so don't if any shavings were in there. I've searched online but can seem to find anything that sounds like my problem. So anybody got some ideas what it could be, bearings or gears? Oh it also pops out of 5th when coasting if that makes a difference(also something the guy said it didn't do) All other gears work fine. Any ideas would greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Alright so I'm going to be pulling the transmission out and apart tomorrow. I want to buy the rebuild kit which has ball bearings an synchros, but all the kits I'm finding say it fits zf s6-650 from 1998 and up. So my question is is there a difference between the ball bearings and synchro rings from the s6-650 to the s6-750?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode