truck pull hard in D when at a redlight - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage
truck pull hard in D when at a redlight

Hello guys, I have noticed for sometime that you really need to hold the brake good at a red light to stop it from rolling forward, It is a well serviced 132,000 miles 4r100. My temp are ok and the idle is fine.

Could I have just grown accustomed to the newer cars we have in the family and notice it more when I drive it. You can be on a steep incline and it still pulls. I have to make a consius decision to not roll into the car infront of me at a red light, is it the same for you guy

2000 Ford F250 Reg Cab, 4R100, 3.73 gears build date 10/1999
7.3 Power Stroke #1179548 built Oct 27 1999
Bone stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 03:47 AM
PSN Newb

Garage
Re: truck pull hard in D when at a redlight

Absolutely not normal. What makes you think it is the tranny? Do you have solid break pedal all the time? If not I would check a few things. Does it feel like you start to loose pressure if sitting with foot on the pedal? If so I would check master cylinder. You might have air in the lines. When was the last time you bleed them? Have you looked for leaks? Have you done the rear drums at all? My truck had basically no drums left at all and I would have to pump my breaks to get a decent peddle. Also check you vacuum pump and make sure the pulley isn’t seized up or wobbling or anything.

XLT CCSB, 4x4, 3" Downpipe, 4" Exhaust (with CAT delete), 140V IDM Mod, TS6 Position Chip, K&N, Transmission built by State to state transmission in AZ
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 AM
alleged moderator

i would think the torque converter may still be locked, but when mine does that the engine will almost die, or will die.
mine sounds and feels like a manual trans when you try to stop without stepping on the clutch.
since you have a 2000, you can rule out the vacuum pump because you have hydroboost brakes.
how does your steering feel? hard, or easy?
if hard, the power steering pump may be dying, and that will give you diminished braking capacity.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Garage

My brakes pedal is solid and completely normal, the pedal does not bleed down at all. My PS pump is new and it was the same before and after. This truck has been this way for years. It was worse until I installed new front bake pads. I know if I brake really hard the rear brakes lock up so they are working at least some. I have torque pro and can see the torque converter and it seems to unlock by the numbers. I wish I could drive another super duty of my vintage and see how it acts. I do know my emergency brakes do not work, full pedal and it will roll forward but not backwards.

I had my 24' boat behind it the other day on flat ground and put it in gear and it sat for for a few seconds and started creeping forward. If I just put it in gear on flat ground it gets up to around 3 MPH on its own. Maybe I will have a transmission shop look at it

2000 Ford F250 Reg Cab, 4R100, 3.73 gears build date 10/1999
7.3 Power Stroke #1179548 built Oct 27 1999
Bone stock for now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode