4R100 stage 2 junk @ 22k? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4R100 stage 2 junk @ 22k?

I replaced my stock tranny after it gave out with 208k. My ex mechanic installed a Fort Dodge stage 2 transmission. I was 400 miles away hunting and it forced me to trailer it back home. I was driving 6 hours thru wet snow on pavement and another 12 hours thru snow on gravel. I noticed my overdrive light flashing after 7 hours. Thinking it was just the speed sensor getting wet, but overdrive button still worked. Then the truck started to buck and try stalling the engine in reverse. After 12 hours it would slip out into 4th. When in drive, it would shift fine 1-2-3 but then not engage 4th. Only way was to take it out of drive. Ended up driving 100 miles in 2nd gear going 30 mph...

I will be calling Fort Dodge tomorrow to get build info. 2 year warranty, but was purchased in Oct 2015. Fort Dodge offered to repair if repairable, but I am not sure I want the same people repairing the same transmission that lasted 22,300 miles.

I have stage 2 injectors, turbo, dp tuner f6, in the 400 hp range. Dieselsite trans filter. aftermarket gauge never read over 200 degrees until it acted up. Then it wanted to creep to 220 in drive. around 190 when driving in 2nd gear(2000 rpms)

I drove it to the car wash tonight and it did not actup whatsoever.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 4R100 stage 2 junk @ 22k?

2000 F250 4x4
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:22 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownebilt View Post
I noticed my overdrive light flashing after 7 hours.
That means codes were stored in the computer's memory. You'll need these codes to start the diagnosis. Without the codes, all I can tell you is that something is wrong.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:14 AM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
That means codes were stored in the computer's memory. You'll need these codes to start the diagnosis. Without the codes, all I can tell you is that something is wrong.
I agree, you'll need a good scanner too. The regular Vato Zone scanners wont cut it, I had to find a shop with a nice snap on scanner to scan mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Forescan or even a cts2 will tell you. Forescan will tell you way more info. Get it scanned real good and come back. Mark will set you straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode