E40D p0708, p1728 , torque converter? or... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By masakimm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

E40D p0708, p1728 , torque converter? or...

Hello to the group

This is a 1996 Ford f250 all stock, except electric pump and air filter. Also runs on WVO.
The truck is in Coyhaique Aysen, in the chilean Patagonia, not a lot of mechanic around here, and this is the only 7.3 powerstroke around with an E40D, so parts are difficult to get. I mostly order and import trough Amazon or ebay what double the price of everything.

The truck start experiencing transmission problems 3 weeks ago, the transmission was jumping into neutral, actually was not into neutral, cause I checked with a scanner and the gears was ok, but was kind not engagig. Stop and start the engine will fix the problem for a while.

Pull the codes with autoenguinity and got p0708, order and replaced neutral safety switch, inspected and tested wires- and fluid that was dark brown but didnt smell burn. When dropped the pan there was a lot of small metal debris, the magent was full. So I replaced the fluid and filter cause was about time to do this (full atf replacement by Mark Kovalsky procedure)

The truck came back to life... transmission was smooth and good for a week.

Today I drove up a steep hill and the truck did the same, jump into neutral .
This time the fluid was dark with signs of very small metal debris ( 1 week new fluid), but didnt smell burnt, i drove it for 5 milles until I got to a friend house, and now I know the truck is not going anywhere. it take some time to enagage, and sometimes it doesnt engage at alla, the engine revs and feels like is in neutral.

Pull the codes and this time shows me p0708, p1728

I want to know the opinion of the the experts because there is not a lot of options in this area, no mechanic for automatic transmission, no rebuild shops.

I was reading in other post this might be a torque converter issue, if so, should I go and replaced only this part plus new filter and fluid?

Should i try to get a used transmission (small chance) or should I buy a rebuild kit and try in the next big city? (very , very expensive option)

Also I ordered a new alternaor cause the old one was frying my batteries (alternator is on the way among with new batteries) i dont know if this can be related to this problem.

Any input is higly appreciated

many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: E40D p0708, p1728 , torque converter? or...

A little more information I forgot to post,

The first time I had the problem, there was a noise, a rattle noise coming from the transmission.
the noise dissapear after new atf, filter and neutral safety switch.

ALso the color of the atf after the fluid change, is more like dark gray, rather than black.

I apologise if im not very clear, my english is not perfect.

many thanks

1996 Ford f250, 4wd, 200.000 miles
Electric Pump conversion
Napa 6637 Air filter conversion
WVO conversion
Drove it from Alaska to Ushuaia
www.upachalupa.org
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Your English is excellent!

I'm afraid that the transmission is finished. It needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Sorry.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply and the compliment for my english

Thats too bad, anyway it is good to know the transmission is finished and need to be rebuild. Now I know this is going to take some time and probably buy a small car and save for the transmission rebuild.

I saw many rebuild kits on internet, is there any specific kit you reccomend for my truck, this is a 1996 F-250 4x4 stock.

Also there is a better chance to find a 4r100 transmission here, if so, can I install this model on my truck.

Many thanks again

Electric Pump conversion
WVO conversion
www.upachalupa.org
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

If the 4R100 came from a truck that had the same engine and is a 4x4, then yes, it will work.

To make it work correctly it will need some modification. Go to TCI 496500: Valve Body Performance Improvement Kit 1989-97 Ford E40D 2/4WD | JEGSthen click on the Instructions tab. You can then download the instructions. Go to page 5 where it says "The following modifications will convert a PWM lock-up to an on/off lock-up. " You need to do that modification or whenever the torque converter clutch locks it will be very unpleasant.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

perfect info,

My last question is if you have a reccomendation for a rebuild kit for the E40D.

Thanks Mark, if you ever come to Chile, let me know, we have good fishing here in Patagonia

Electric Pump conversion
WVO conversion
www.upachalupa.org
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:24 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I used to use kits from Transtar1, but I think they only sell wholesale, not retail.

Mark

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:01 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Transtar does both now. Thats what I use.
Mark Kovalsky likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Many thanks!

Electric Pump conversion
WVO conversion
www.upachalupa.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode