7.3 Cracked 4r100 Bell Housing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

7.3 Cracked 4r100 Bell Housing

Hi guys, hoping I can find the root of my problem here. Unfortunately I'm not a big transmission guy so I'm at a loss. I have an 03 7.3 powerstroke, stock except for new injectors and an intake. About a week or so ago I noticed some shaking in my truck at about 45-50 mph, seeming to come from the center of my truck. Either thought it was a bad u joint or "out of round" rotors as I got shakes at lower speeds while on the breaks too.
Yesterday I was driving home, headed uphill on a pretty steep incline at about 60 mph, I got the shakes but smoothed out shortly after. Once I reached the plateau of the hill, well, my transmission exploded and cracked the bellhousing right from the front through the center of the trans pan, with enough force it actually shot a bolt out of the pan itself. Already looking into a new stage 2 trans, but want to know what the hell can cause this. It's a 4x4 trans but there was NO front driveshaft in at the time, and the rear I joints are newer. Could they have caused this?? Motor mounts and trans mounts seem good, fluid seemed good and like I said I'm not a big transmission guy, but the more I can learn on what caused this the better! Money is tight right now as I'm working on my associates for welding technology but don't mind expenses to assure this doesn't happen with a brand new trans. I will be welding the cracked one if possible once it's out. Will post a picture once I figure out how. Lol. Thank you in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4474_1521814643008.jpg (17.7 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Re: 7.3 Cracked 4r100 Bell Housing

FYI - Moving this thread to the Transmission Related forum.

Cheers,

Erik
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sorry, didn't know there was a separate section. I appreciate it!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 05:41 PM
PSN Local

Re: 7.3 Cracked 4r100 Bell Housing

Request Please -

Is is possible to include a Link to the Topic at the new location?

I get lost trying to get there from here.

Thank you.

1997 Cargo Van 7.3 PSD, 185k miles, Stancor GPR, IH Waterpump w/ Filter, EBPV Delete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode