4r100 build - need suggestions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

4r100 build - need suggestions

Im looking into building my 4r100 in my 01. Question is, what should i do to it.
here are the options that i've been considering.

Option 1: BTS converter and valve body. Approx $1300 + Labor Then eventually upgrade to a full BTS trans.

Option 2: Wait till trans blows up then buy a BTS trans. Approx $5000 + Labor, shipping, whatever else

Option 3: Go to local trans shop and have him install a billet converter and shift kit to prolong the life of the trans and then go with a BTS if it ever blows. $1500

I like option 1 the best but if i do that then im worried about something else breaking in the trans due to the higher torque multiplication ratio of the new TC. What do you think?

2001 F-250 PSD 4x4 Lariat CC SB Auto
Power Hungry Performance
Edge CTS Insight
ATS 4" Straight Pipe
ATS Ported Compressor Housing
AFE Stage II Intake
DI Stainless Up-Pipes
BTS Valve Body
6.0 Billet Converter
6.0 32 Row Trans Cooler
Foil Delete
AIH Delete
CCV Mod
Firestone Ride-Rite airbags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:57 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 4r100 build - need suggestions

how many miles on your trans?

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Beans Diesel Performance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
"mad cow" member

I wouldn't spend a penny on it until I crawled under it and checked the transmission build date.
2001 models with 4r100's built between 7-27-00 ~ 3-23-01 have a type of one way clutch (mechanical diode) which are prone to failure, the only cure is a full rebuild.

The build date is on the tag on the drivers side of the transmission.
3rd row down, you'll see BD then a number 0 = 2000, 1 = 2001, then a letter, A=Jan, B=Feb C= March etc, then two number's - 01-31 = the day.

01 F-250 CC 4R esof PMT AIS, pine tree air freshener,
some other stuff not worth mentioning .

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I know its a factory reman trans but i don't know the build date. it got put in January 2007. estimated miles on it is 45,000

2001 F-250 PSD 4x4 Lariat CC SB Auto
Power Hungry Performance
Edge CTS Insight
ATS 4" Straight Pipe
ATS Ported Compressor Housing
AFE Stage II Intake
DI Stainless Up-Pipes
BTS Valve Body
6.0 Billet Converter
6.0 32 Row Trans Cooler
Foil Delete
AIH Delete
CCV Mod
Firestone Ride-Rite airbags
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:34 PM
PSN Veteran

I would check the build date but I would guess if its a factory reman you dont have the diode. In that case Id do a valve body,converter and pump mods. That should help it live alot longer and be better performing.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Beans Diesel Performance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
PSN Veteran

We can get you a BTS much less than $5K!

Cary

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:55 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSWIZ View Post
We can get you a BTS much less than $5K!

Cary
At a price less than going through BTS?

1997 F250 4X4, E4OD, 12v, SDX 5x14's & DV's, benched pump, 20*, 66/71/13SS, City Diesel 6OH I/C, D60 RSK, SD Springs
1997 F350 CC 4X4, Hypermax Stage 2's, H2E, BTS pumps, BTS trans, Banks I/C

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 AM
PSN Local

What kinda price can you get a BTS for? For the OP I would just get the BTS you will be happy trust me.

Anthony

2000 F-250 205k Few goodies
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 03:45 AM
PSN Newb

check with john wood auto, he builds some of the best 4r100 transmissions on the market. for under 4k. both of my trucks have been done by him, and they are awesome. the 97 is built for high hp, and he put the towmaster trans in my 2000. he also stands behind his work 100%. jd
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Option 2 with a twist

You can wait for it to blow or you can do a preemptive fix. With the preemptive fix, you are doing it at your timing instead of having it break in the middle of BFE.

I wouldn't put anything expensive behind the trans. I would get a BTS Valve Body simply because BTS will give you credit for the VB when you get a new trans.

I would go with BTS because after 2 yrs, he fixes it for free except you pay for shipping. Inside 2 yrs he pays for shipping. Nobody has said that anyone can do better than that. I chose BTS because while he and JW stand behind their product, he stands behind it longer and I know I will break my trans sooner or later. Probably after 3 yrs.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode