Diagnosing transmission trouble - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Diagnosing transmission trouble

Ok so I have a 03 super duty 7.3 I recently swapped the turbo from stock to 1.15 housing with a 66/88 ported housing from kt performance.

The day after I swapped the turbo i had two incedents were it felt like my trans slipped for a half second before it took off. I went to drop off the stock turbo at a friend's house who wanted it

Everything fine I pulled into his driveway. We talked with the truck idling for 10min. When I went to leave I backed out fine but when I put it in drive it free revved. If I covered at red line in 2nd and up I can hit about 30mph on a flat road 1st holds better but not like it should.

Limped the truck to my shop, my uncle thought the new turbo might have broke junk loose in the trans that got stuck in a valve. So I went to flush the trans and when I drained the fluid (level good btw) it was blackish and smelled burnt. So I'm thinking burnt up forward clutch packs(r works fine) or something else? Tranny just shot?

I really appreciate any input as I don't know anything about transmissions

Thanks a lot, cj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:49 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Diagnosing transmission trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1996f250 View Post
put it in drive it free revved.
Something was wrong at that point. It may or may not have been repairable at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1996f250 View Post
If I covered at red line in 2nd and up I can hit about 30mph on a flat road 1st holds better but not like it should.
But this made sure the trans is junk. Pull it out and rebuild it or replace it. It's not going to get better, only worse.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I got a basic stage 1 rebuild kit from alligator, is rebuild something I can do myself with yoitube? Or definitely not? I'm pretty good but have never done a tranny

Anything else I should do in there? tc, solenoid,vb? Thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I recommend that you get a good 4R100 shop manual. Either www.helminc.com or www.atsg.us has what you need. Manuals like Chilton's or Helm's will just tell you to rebuild the trans.

You MUST replace the torque converter. If you don't junk from the previous failure will come out of the torque converter and destroy your new rebuild. Solenoids and valve bodies can usually be cleaned and reused.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM
PSN Local

If you have a transmission parts supply warehouse anywhere close to you such as Transtar industries, or Whatever it takes transmission parts, they sell ATSG manuals, that cover the disassembly and rebuilding of virtually every transmission, as well as hard parts that don't come in an overhaul kit, you may need a forward piston return spring plate, and a few other parts depending on the mileage and past use of the transmission, biggest thing to remember, clean all the internal parts extremely well, especially inside the drums when you remove the pistons, and clean the valvebodies twice,, lol, any leftover clutch or fine metal material will be your enemy, make sure all valves move freely, and don't drag in their bores.

Rebuilding a transmission isn't necessarily hard, but its the little things you may not know to watch out for that will bite you, its one aspect of automotive repair where experience counts a lot.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ok I will pull the trans this week and try to jump in this weekend

As always I really appreciate all the help and advice

Cj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode