E 99 shift issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

E 99 shift issues

I just had my trans rebuilt on my plow truck. I had a Transgo shift kit done to replace the simple Sonnex kit i was running befor the failure. It shifts like crap. I had soft shifts prior with the Sonnex spring and valve kit and the only way to get it to shift right was to run programs with line pressure. I switched to different programs now along with the new trans and it acts like it did before when the line pressure was low. Would a .500 or .670 line pressure valve correct the shift issues? or do i need to go back to a program with line pressure?

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
should have built

FOR SALE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: E 99 shift issues

I had thought about the .500 or .670 after my rebuild and my shifts were softer than I wanted. Then tried different tuning and holy chit, stuff will fall out of cup holders and if in not paying attention it will sling my head back almost to where it hurts. I had asked pretty much the same question a while back and I think it was David from DI that said the .427 valve is capable of breaking the parts in the trans, so I think you will be plenty happy with different line pressure.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Well i asked Racer X about this and was told he could not answer since i did not purchase from him. Glad to see that help is avaliable from people here. I guess he could take the time to write a long reason why not to help instead of a just saying take a look at X or Y.

Tony

The truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
should have built

FOR SALE

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
PSN Local

What modulator valve are you running?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Stone Crusher

You can drill the holes bigger in the calibration plate. (Trans Go part) above the accumulator body.
If the tranny was just rebuilt, bring it back to the builder. Tell the builder what is wrong and have them fix it.

01 F250 XLT 4X4 Auto trans, Dark Highland Green, Green fuzzy dice,Di Pricol Optix gauges,Dura Lite air cleaner,CCV mod,coolant filter,,AIC,XM Satilite radio.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I am already running a .427 valve. I had this soft sift when i bought the truck
70k ago. I did a sonnex shift kit and it had soft shifts. I had to run programs with line pressure to get a good shift. When i had it rebuilt i had them do a different shift kit and it shifts the same way as it did prior the the rebuild, nice frim shifts with teh chip that has line pressure. It has soft shifts if i use a chip without line pressure increase.
Will the .500 or the .670 valve do the same as the line pressure command in the chip. This is what i am asking.
The problem is not a problem from the rebuild.

Tony

The truck
should have built

FOR SALE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
PSN Local

Run a complete line pressure test with a manual gauge to verify what you have. It is odd to need a mod valve larger than .427.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Stone Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinscout View Post
Run a complete line pressure test with a manual gauge to verify what you have. It is odd to need a mod valve larger than .427.
X-2

01 F250 XLT 4X4 Auto trans, Dark Highland Green, Green fuzzy dice,Di Pricol Optix gauges,Dura Lite air cleaner,CCV mod,coolant filter,,AIC,XM Satilite radio.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

That is what i would have thought. I called Suncoast and i could hardly get the tech off the phone. He spent a 1/2 hour going throught some secenarios with me. I did a line pressure test and there is a significant difference in pressure between no chip and the one that works. I am adding a .670 valve and going to retest. I also have a .500 if the pressure is too high.
The funny thing is i have done a bunch of shift kits in teh past and i have had 1 other trans with teh same issue. It was also a 99. So i believe there is something different in the early built 4r100 but i can not confirm.

Tony

The truck
should have built

FOR SALE
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Village Idiot

so how did the tests go.
good to hear suncoast took care of you

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode