Solenoid Pack Fluid in Connector - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Solenoid Pack Fluid in Connector

Hey all. I have an issue with my truck's trans, and had posted on another site, but didn't get much help. I'm hoping a Diesel Specific Forum will yield better results; I have a 97 F250 PSD Automatic. I bought it used a few years back with about 220k on it and I put a snow plow on it to clear our driveway and use for farm use, primarily. It already had a Jasper Trans in it. Currently, the O/D Light flashes on and off constantly, and I have hard shifting between gears. In doing some research, I've learned it best not to run the truck in this condition, which I am not. I have a Matco 1052 Scan Tool, which to my surprise is able to read the Trans codes. I have P1748 - Solenoid A code. I've also looked into the Solenoid Pack Connector, as suggested in other forums. I was hopeful for a corroded pin or something easy, but found that there is trans fluid in connector. I've found only one other thread (within this forum) with this condition, and the guy replaced the solenoid pack, which fixed his same problem. My question is; is there a fix on the Solenoid Pack for the leaking fluid into the connector, or is the only way to fix it is to replace it? Note: on the other thread that I've previously mentioned, a someone replied and stated that the fluid in the connector would not be the cause of his hard shift, so I guess further questions would be; Would the fluid in the connector cause the hard shifting, or was would there be another problem in the Solenoid Pack that was fixed by happenstance when replacing the Pack for the leaking connector?

Last weekend, I went out and cleaned the connector and receptacle of the Solenoid pack with contact cleaner, compressed air, and some dielectric grease. I then attempted to clear the Trans Code P1748, but a message stated that it failed to clear. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's an "Enhanced Manufactuer Code"?? After it failed, I tried again with the same results. I cycled the key off and back on and started the truck. The O/D light was out, so I took it for a drive, about a mile or two. As soon as I dropped it into reverse, it the O/D Light Started blinking again, and it still had the hard shift, and it also seems to do the gear skip to 4th. I'm guessing that I need to go for a Solenoid Pack, but before I do, does anyone know if I need to disconnect the batteries in order to clear the trans code? Let's say I replace the Solenoid Pack, but don't clear the codes, will the truck go into "limp mode" if the code exists, or can the code exist but the truck shift ok, because I will have replaced the solenoid pack? (Does the code control the trans or does the trans control the code?)
Sorry for the wordy thread. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated and please let me know if there's anything I've left out. If I need a new Solenoid Pack, is there a better place to get one, or any to avoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:45 PM
PSN Local

Re: Solenoid Pack Fluid in Connector

I would recommend a new solenoid assembly from Ford, probably going to be around $250, you might check and see if you have a Transtar industries warehouse or a Whatever it takes transmission parts warehouse somewhere close to you, both are wholesale parts suppliers to the transmission industry, you might also check Ebay, I would stay away from remanufactured solenoid assemblies, we've not had good results overall using them.

If you don't clear the codes after installing the new assembly it will work correctly , but the code will likely still be in the system, the reason it didn't clear before is the current solenoid assembly is likely shorted or has an open circuit on that particular solenoid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode