4r100 triple disc torque converter upgrade - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4r100 triple disc torque converter upgrade

I have on 02 f350 with a 4r100
Trans I just had my trans rebuilt and a tugger kit installed
I have a 6,0 cooler and a Toney Wildman 6 gun in it
When I'm toweing my 10.000 trailer it feels like the trans is slipping
It feels the same way it did before I had it rebuilt
They installed a multie disc converter as they called it but it's not a triple disc converter
Would a triple disc converter make a difference in pulling I have heard the 6.0 converter is a great converter for the money
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:34 AM
PSN Local

Re: 4r100 triple disc torque converter upgrade

If the converter is slipping in lockup or not locking up you will have a code in the system, usually a P1728, but there are a few other codes related to torque converter clutch performance, it may or may not throw a CEL .

The advantage to a triple disc converter is more holding power when the converter is locked up, most 4R100 converters anymore are either single disc billet, or triple disc billet converters, some companies might still make a 2 disc converter but I don't know of anyone who uses them. Usually triple disc converters are only used for vehicles that tow on a regular basis and/or are putting out a lot of torque, much more than stock.

Slipping is a generic term that doesn't mean much to a transmission tech, do the rpms go up between shifts ? do the shifts feel firm and positive, or do they drag out ? torque converter lockup should happen sometime after second gear, and should drop the rpms roughly 400-500 rpms,

I would pull codes first, and even if no codes, take the truck back to the shop that did the work, tell them your concerns and let them check it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in