E4od transmission jumps out of gear on deceleration - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

E4od transmission jumps out of gear on deceleration

It's an E4OD, behind a 7.3, w/transfer gear case in an E350 camper van. 191k on the clock.

Symptom #1: When cold, it seems as though the torque converter locks up, typically in reverse, enough to stall the engine. It goes away after a few minutes of warming up/fluid circulation. It's an intermittent problem, happening off and on for the last 5k miles.

New Symptom #2: Loud ratcheting sounds, as though it's partially popping out of gear, trying to find it's way back in, only on deceleration. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz! The clicking period gets further apart as speed goes to zero. AT highway speeds it'a loud buzzing. I did my best to diagnose it, before the transmission completely gave up the ghost. This just started, my van is now parked at home until I fix it.

It happens in every gear, both w/overdrive on and off. Overdrive is functioning properly, no flashing light, as is up and down shifting. It happened once on an offramp three days ago, then happened 2-3 more times in Death Valley while descending the South Pass (alluvial fan dirt road w/rocks, bumps, etc) into Saline Valley.

On our way out of the valley, it got reeeeeal bad, it did it on every deceleration headed toward Hwy 190, even on pavement. I had to abort our holiday trip and head home.

Luckily, I was able nurse it 350 miles back home to the Bay Area, having to brake with a little accelerator at the same time, to keep a load on the gear train on even the slightest grade. So long as the gear train was loaded by the engine, and NOT being backdriven by the wheels, it propelled my E350 van down the road at highway speeds. I'm just glad we didn't need to have it towed, as I was fully loaded, and flat towing my Samurai behind.

I've been doing some internet searches, and don't see anything associated with deceleration. I really want to diagnose this thing before taking it out (myself).

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:00 PM
PSN Local

Re: E4od transmission jumps out of gear on deceleration

Its more than likely coming from the transfer case, if the transmission were making that kind of noise it would be showing other symptoms, like not shifting correctly, or whining in the lower gears but not in the highers ones, or missing a gear altogether, not saying its impossible, just not likely.

Try putting the transfer case in 4 hi and driving it and see if it changes the noise at all, also check your fluid in the transfer case. At any rate I would suspect the transfer case first, not that hard to pull, and really not that hard to work on either. We used to see the smaller transfer cases with a shift fork worn out and it would cause an issue like that, the larger ones are made the same way.

As far as the killing the engine in reverse, that is usually a problem with the transmission pump or converter, but it could be the transmission cooler is clogging or not flowing correctly when its cold, I'd check the condition color of the fluid, and unless it looks nasty and burnt I would suggest replacing the cooler if it has the one in front of the radiator, or if it only goes through the radiator then I would add an auxiliary cooler and bypass the radiator. If that doesn't solve it then the trans does have an issue.
By the way what year model is this thing ?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfixer View Post
By the way what year model is this thing ?
1996 E350

I didn't do the 4x4 conversion, I'm not sure which TGC they used, and don't see an ID tag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TGC pic IMG_2903.jpg (13.9 KB, 11 views)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

BTW, I wasn't shifted into 4wd while this was happening, if that makes a difference.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:30 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
BTW, I wasn't shifted into 4wd while this was happening, if that makes a difference.
Power still transfers through the transfer case, there is a fork that enables either 2wd or 4wd, and another than enables low or hi range, those forks were known to wear out from time to time, causing noises and falling out of gear sometimes.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:37 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
1996 E350

I didn't do the 4x4 conversion, I'm not sure which TGC they used, and don't see an ID tag.
Its probably a Borg Warner 1356, that was the most common, its been a while since I've worked on one of those.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Power still transfers through the transfer case, there is a fork that enables either 2wd or 4wd, and another than enables low or hi range, those forks were known to wear out from time to time, causing noises and falling out of gear sometimes.
That makes sense. Trans shifts normal, no slippage, the skipping still happens coasting in neutral and reving the engine.

In fact, the linkage has never been right since I got it (I've been meaning to sort it out, never got to it yet)I've not seen the factory Ford parts, but these look to be a mix-n-match of shifter and gate plate, arms and rod, I could never the travel it needs to get it into 4wd low without crawling under and detaching the arm at the pivot (at the case), and manually moving the lever to go all the way to the end to pick up 4wd low.

I'll disconnect the arm and manually put it in 4wd high and try it, like you suggested, after work today. Thanks!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Try putting the transfer case in 4 hi and driving it and see if it changes the noise at all, also check your fluid in the transfer case.
I drove it in 4wd high, no change, then 4wd low, which made the popping out of gear go away. I'm going to drain and check the T-case fluid next. (scratch that, drained the T-case oil)

Only a half cup of oil in the T-case. No metal chunks, no particles.

Transmission fluid looks pink, smells as it should.

I'll refill the T-case and see what happens
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Yep, I would put money on the high/low shift fork pads. I'm on my 3rd tcase because of those suckers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:17 AM
PSN Local

Yep ! That's what I remember seeing when we'd have one come in with that problem, running low on fluid is usually the cause of it. If you don't see any obvious signs of a leak, and normally you don't , you might want to refill it with a lightweight motor oil instead of transmission fluid, something like 10w-30w, it will lubricate better and stay in the transfer case better also, over the years the consensus has been that the transmission fluid aerates because its getting churned around inside the tc and ends up evaporating or escaping out the vent . I know it sounds crazy, but I've seen too many transfer cases come in the shop low on fluid with no leaks anywhere to be able to dispute it, especially the GM246 t-cases which have a set of clutches inside.

These big fords have no clutches, and need all the extra lube help they can get.
79jasper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode