Transmission Performance Upgrades Help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Transmission Performance Upgrades Help

I was wondering if anyone is using this kit or if you've done something similar for cheaper to improve the trans as they say this does in the link:
Bully Dog Shift Enhancer #151000

Also, what about one of these lock up kits, any one run one of these and arey they worth the buy?
TS Performance Torque Converter Lock-UP

8" Lift
38" Toyo MT's
DIY Traction Bars
Zoodad-AIH Delete-Foil Delete
Adjust. Wastegate
ISSIPRO Performax Gauges
4" TB Magnaflow Exhaust w/ 5" tip
AFE stage 2 PG 7 W/Pre-Filter
Superchips Prgmr 150HP/225TQ
Oil X-over Line
Smoked Lights w/LEDs & HIDs
DIY 3 stage Water/Meth
CCV
6.0 IC
Transgo Shift Kit
Derale Trans. Frame Rail Cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Transmission Performance Upgrades Help

How about just getting a valve Body. IIRC, BTS sells them for $225.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Get a valve body and a good custom chip that will tune for your tranny and ditch the super chips junk.

Half your problem is the super chips dont adjust worth a crap for your tranny shift points and a good custom tuned chip would.

Also you can make your own TC Lockup switch for about $10

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The inline pressure kit for 50.00 sounds a lot better than the valve body kit for 225.00

One day when I can afford a custom chip I will get one. I am trying to do as much as I can with lil money as possible that I don't have lol.

How do you make the lockup switch for $10.00?

8" Lift
38" Toyo MT's
DIY Traction Bars
Zoodad-AIH Delete-Foil Delete
Adjust. Wastegate
ISSIPRO Performax Gauges
4" TB Magnaflow Exhaust w/ 5" tip
AFE stage 2 PG 7 W/Pre-Filter
Superchips Prgmr 150HP/225TQ
Oil X-over Line
Smoked Lights w/LEDs & HIDs
DIY 3 stage Water/Meth
CCV
6.0 IC
Transgo Shift Kit
Derale Trans. Frame Rail Cooler
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

I would save your money and just do it right the 1st time then to just try and piece it together cheap.

for the TC lockup switch get a DPDT switch and some wire and just find the wire on the harness on the drivers side finder that controls the TC lockup and run it into the cab through the switch and back out. I for get witch wire it is on the harness do some searching on here and you can find it.

Here is the diagram for the switch though.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR View Post
The inline pressure kit for 50.00 sounds a lot better than the valve body kit for 225.00

One day when I can afford a custom chip I will get one. I am trying to do as much as I can with lil money as possible that I don't have lol.
Only if the question is "Which one do you pay less for NOW?". When I got mine, I had to only install it. I don't have to be sure that the measurements for the rest of the VB were within spec. Best of all, when my trans blew because of the diode, I got credit towards the trans. The VB is not a kit. They basically take a VB core, go thru the thing and make sure that everything is within spec. The BTS version has a plate where you can change the shift by making the hole larger at certain parts. In the kit you are talking about, you are responsible for everything. In my experience, things are cheaper for a reason and it usually doesn't involve someone being a nice guy. I bought Trick Flow heads instead of AFR heads because they were cheaper. Price sounded good too. 2 weeks after install, they sent me a set of guideplates because there was some issue they discovered. 2 yrs later, all the valves on the pass side were wobbling around and one had broken their spring and destroyed the piston. Was it cheaper?

DP-Tuner will load 1 tune onto your PCM for about $75 so you can try it if you want.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_stroker View Post
I would save your money and just do it right the 1st time then to just try and piece it together cheap.

for the TC lockup switch get a DPDT switch and some wire and just find the wire on the harness on the drivers side finder that controls the TC lockup and run it into the cab through the switch and back out. I for get witch wire it is on the harness do some searching on here and you can find it.

Here is the diagram for the switch though.

Why not just get it programmed in the PCM to lower the lockup speed?

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM
PSN Veteran

I had the Banks Trans command and my tranny took a dump at <50K miles. I would go with upgraded hardware (TC, Valve body etc.) over electronic (band aid) fixes any day.

Relying on electronics to fix your tranny will just raise the cost to fix it right when it goes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Banks Intercooler and exhaust
In tank and pre-pump mods
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post

2008 F-250 FX4 cc,4x4

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Yep thats the right price.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode