4r100 eating torque converters - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By transfixer
  • 1 Post By transfixer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cool 4r100 eating torque converters

Hopefully we have some big brains that can give me some help.

So I had my 7.3 motor replaced and it had a rear main leak, Shop dropped the trans to replace the seal as its easier than taking the motor out.

Get the truck back and within ~250 miles the torque converter starts rattling like hell. Truck has 226k miles so I figure ok new converter and have it done. Get it back and again within a couple hundred miles it starts rattling again. Now it shutters and vibrates..... what could be causing the converter failure?

Any help is appreciated I just don't want to throw money at it in hopes to figure it out.

2000 f350 7.3 baby swamps injectors, stock other than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:40 AM
PSN Local

Re: 4r100 eating torque converters

Converters are the weak link on 4R100 units, but it sounds like you simply got a bad one on the replacement , What brand converter was it ? Dacco or Recon ? Also it should be under warranty, I know that doesn't help with the current problem, but most all converters are warrantied at least 12months/12thousand miles, Also the shop that did the work should cover it if they supplied the converter ?

If they didn't supply it, and you got it yourself, get your money back on that one, and get a Single disc Billet converter from CVC, (Consolidated Vehicle Converters) distributed through Whatever it takes transmission parts, they have locations all across the country. CVC makes excellent converters, I rebuild transmissions for a living, and I use them exclusively, and have a single disc Billet in my own truck
Papers likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for the reply, the shop is going to cover it but I was worried maybe something caused it.

I only pull a small toy hauler and even though I am in Colorado 90% of the time I don't go over the mountains.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 06:48 PM
PSN Local

Good deal ! You might ask if you can pay a little more and have them upgrade the converter to a single disc billet, even though you might not tow that much weight, In my opinion its worth the difference, most OE style converters seem to last 200k when they are original, rebuilt ones are only as good as the company rebuilding them, just make sure they aren't using a Dacco or Recon converter, both are built in the same plant, by the same company, and have had quality control issues for going on 3 years now.
Papers likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in