Early 99 with no low end torque. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Early 99 with no low end torque.

OK guys so I have been fighting this truck for the last two years and I have replaced injectors high-pressure oil pump injection control prefer sensor injection pressure regulator fuel pressure regulator Exhaust back pressure sensor and tube exhaust manifolds full 4 inch exhaust New turbo Garrett with billet wheel and mechanical wastegate New up pipes with donuts has a PHP hydra chip also has brand new air filter 6637 fresh 10W-30 Motorcraft diesel oil since it?s becoming cold in winter here in Michigan has a new fuel filter. For some reason it has no power until around 2600 rpm then the boost is around 8psi or so and climbs rather quick but once in over drive and when approaching a hill I?ll push the pedal and high pressure oil will rise no speed gain then it will downshift and go this all happens at 60mph when it starts losing speed going up hill. This is all happening on the 80hp setting, if truck is in stock it constantly downshifts even on flat ground, fuel pressure is at 72psi and barley drops under a load. So my question is I have no flashing on my overdrive light can this still be torque converter or trans related. Also while watching the torque converter on a monitor locked it will read 0.6rpm then jump to 32.0rpm then to 3.3rpm then to 60rpm is this normal? Or what could be the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM

Re: Early 99 with no low end torque.

Sounds like a boost leak. Google boost leak tester 7.3. They are cheap to build.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I made I boost leak tester and found 1 plenum was leaking on the driver side, I resealed it and all is well, so then I rechecked it and it with soapy water and nothing bubbled this time but I do hear a air leak almost like it?s in the engine? Driving down the road there is a howl on the driver side like the up pipe is leaking there is just no visible soot and the gaskets I?ve changed 4 times now and they were new pipes as of last year. Another thing this truck never smokes and only a light haze of black on 120 race mode. I just kinda wonder sometime about fuel delivery but everything from the tank up is all new as of 4 months ago. Max boost 24psi and that?s really trying hard.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

She does have 228,000 miles on a all stock transmission and torque converter just has no codes or flashing on the stick but still makes me wonder, plus almost every gear kicks and if you stand on it hard you gotta let of to shift and this is still happening with my upgraded valve body as of 2 months ago. Truck won?t pull anything hangs at 3000rpm and losses speed slowly. If you brake torque it the truck will start building boost then start smoking a light blue and stall out but will start right back up? What is the deal with this damn truck. I?ve even taken it to 4 shops and always leave them clueless they never have a answer.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 05:06 PM
PSN Local

A computer controlled transmission will only do what its told to do by the computer, I would suspect the tps (app sensor) is either out of adjustment or simply bad, its what tells the pcm how far you are stepping on the pedal, and one of the inputs the pcm uses to schedule shifting and line pressure for the transmission. With your sensitive downshifts and having to let up on the pedal to get it to shift under hard accel I believe its the tps. Its on your accelerator pedal under the dash, I've never had to change one myself, but should only be two or three bolts holding it on. It also affects fuel delivery so that may solve the power issue as well.

Those converter numbers are fine, you don't need to worry about what the scanners interpret as tcc slip until it starts staying above 100rpm or so, and normally won't throw a code until the slip goes above 200rpm.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Transfixer, I appreciate your info a lot since I?ve been fighting this forever. It is the old style TPS that you can replace without buying the whole pedal, which I had actually adjusted it to read .95v at idle and 4.0v WOT before WOT was only 3.76V, could this sensor still be bad without throwing a code?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I greatly appreciate the info though and I will replace that throttle position sensor on Monday I know it?s the original one from 99 hopefully it?s the answer I?m running out of parts to replace.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 09:38 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early99 Ron View Post
Transfixer, I appreciate your info a lot since I?ve been fighting this forever. It is the old style TPS that you can replace without buying the whole pedal, which I had actually adjusted it to read .95v at idle and 4.0v WOT before WOT was only 3.76V, could this sensor still be bad without throwing a code?
Yes, they can be bad without throwing a code, its basically a rheostat, and the portion of the sensor that it runs in most of the time, like part throttle at cruising speed, can get worn, or show signs of arcing/wear in the spot it stays the most. I didn't think those were adjustable ? But you can probably tweak the bracket enough to change the readings , Ideally most throttle position sensors are set around .5 volt at idle to around 4.5volt at full throttle, you might see if you can tweak things to get closer to those numbers ? basically spreading out the voltage change over a wider range,
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah it was not adjustable I had to drill out the bushings then Oblong out the holes and watch the computer and set it, but that?s the best adjustment I could get from it. .5 volt idle would bring me at 3.46 WOT which I?m guessing is the sensor being bad or worn like you said.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 12:01 AM
PSN Local

I didn't see this mentioned in your original post, but if you haven't changed the cam position sensor ? Then I would change that also, I installed the dark blue sensor in mine ( early 99 F350 ) and it made a difference , both in faster starts and smoothness of idle, and smoother acceleration also. I also have an IH one as a spare, and another new ford one for a spare as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode