4r100 woes - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4r100 woes

Acquired a 7.3 plow truck 2000 cheap. Problem was you had to rev it to move. Pulled trans found intermediate gone and forward gone and reverse gone. Replaced the effected clutches and steels and the reverse drum as it was warped and the forward drum as it was pretty gummed up and the center support because someone did a bad job machining it. Also replaced intermediate Piston. Finally flushed cooler and replaced air to oil with a aftermarket for temporary use. Ran good in woods. Checked fluid level daily never burnt and good level. Went to gas station to fill it up as fuel barrel went empty. Left and wouldn't shift out of second. Limped it home. Now fluid has a slight burnt smell. Did I overheat it. Also now when hot it bogs in reverse and sometimes drive. 2 3 shift valve was stuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Just at a loss should I pull it and replace the pump. Or is it possible that it's the transtar torque converter. Heard good about them. In rerverse and drive it holds good. If you wait for it to stop bogging the TC unapplied and it's good until you #### again. I can creep up a hill steep hill maybe 50 degree slope or more for about 100 yards full load of wood in truck and trailer.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:52 AM

Re: 4r100 woes

Hang in there. I don’t know much about the 4r100. But we have an guy here that does. Let me see if I can get him to take a look at this thread

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks I appreciate it
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:16 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackop555 View Post
Acquired a 7.3 plow truck 2000 cheap. Problem was you had to rev it to move. Pulled trans found intermediate gone and forward gone and reverse gone. Replaced the effected clutches and steels and the reverse drum as it was warped and the forward drum as it was pretty gummed up and the center support because someone did a bad job machining it. Also replaced intermediate Piston. Finally flushed cooler and replaced air to oil with a aftermarket for temporary use. Ran good in woods. Checked fluid level daily never burnt and good level. Went to gas station to fill it up as fuel barrel went empty. Left and wouldn't shift out of second. Limped it home. Now fluid has a slight burnt smell. Did I overheat it. Also now when hot it bogs in reverse and sometimes drive. 2 3 shift valve was stuck
When you were putting it together did you air check the clutches? If not you probably have a leak in the direct clutch, which caused a failure.

You can try a pressure gauge in the test port on the driver's side of the trans. Record pressures at idle in P, R, N, D, 2, and1. Record pressures at stall in R, D, 2 and 1.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I air checked everything. Only thing g was reverse slight leakage. I checked it wet and it was better so I left it I couldn't get it to seals any better even with a spare reverse Piston. 2-³ shift valve was suck i swapped valve bodies that day and solved that. All feels good minus the hot stalling and the slight burnt smell. Fluid is still pink
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Get a pressure gauge (0-350PSI) and install it in the test port. You need idle pressures in P, R, N, D, 2, and 1, and stall pressures in R, D, 2, and 1.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Will do is it the port in front of range sensor?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Yes, it is.

Mark

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

P n I have around 55psi hot or cold
R 90 cold 55 hot
Od 55 hot and cold
2 55 hot and cold
1 100 cold 90 hot

Also tranny sticks in second again. With a different used valve body. Time for a new one or is case warped. Was running good untill I drove it to warm up this morning to plow and get my hot pressure readings never came out of second I'm sure if I went fast enough and let off it woulda went

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode