Forward clutch problem maybe?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Forward clutch problem maybe??

i have an 01' F250 4R100 that on occasion when i put it in drive, i need to get the RPM's for it to engage. It only seems to do it after i have backed down or up a slight hill. I have been on level ground each time i put it back in D to move forward. It did it once last week after i backed my boat into the water on the ramp. It was time for a service so i did that as prescribed in the sticky with 20 qt of new fluid and a new filter. Well it just did it again after i backed up a long , slightly inclined driveway. I did put a john woods valve body in it 60K miles ago and at the time snapped one of the 10mm studs that is located in the corner of the valve body right next to another bolt. I didn't want to ruin anything so i just left it alone. made the mistake of use the ft/lb torque wrench and not the in/lb one...duh...live and learn. It has been working great for 60k miles which is why i left it alone. Ive owned my 6000lb boat all over the place, loads of stone and tile hundreds of miles over hills all with no problems ever. I have a 27 row 6.o cooler in it and my fluid has never gotten over 150 degrees. My pan was clean with no metal in it when i changed the filter with the normal small amount of "fuzz" on it. And hardly any. Any ideas what i should look at as fas as an easy fix or test to determine if its a solenoid or something. I hooked it up to a snap on scanner and there are no codes for it. It drives and shifts great while driving now. I tried to get it to duplicate the slip but i couldn't make it do it. Any ideas Mark??? hoping i don't need a new tranny.....cant afford that right now.

Thank you!

01' SCSB, 4" exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake, No Limit tunes by Johnathan, Edge insight CS, 6.0 trans cooler, 203 thermostat, SRP 1.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 AM
PSN Newb

How does the fluid smell. Usually reving to engage is a leak which results in burn
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Forward clutch problem maybe??

I would be fixing that broken bolt on the valve body. Think of it like missing a headbolt and causing a head gasket leak.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:19 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsurfer View Post
I did put a john woods valve body in it 60K miles ago and at the time snapped one of the 10mm studs that is located in the corner of the valve body right next to another bolt. I didn't want to ruin anything so i just left it alone.
You broke a valve body bolt and just left it alone?!?!?! And that's the only symptom you have? You're really lucky.

Pull the valve body, remove the broken bolt, and it will probably be fine.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 PM
PSN Local

Sounds like you are simply low on fluid, or you may have a shallow filter but have a deep pan ? Parts stores are notorious for selling the wrong filter when there are two options available, I seriously doubt the bolt you broke off has anything to do with it, the pressure regulator valve is in the pump, not the valvebody, I have seen the end of the filter with the grommet fall down out of the pump sometimes and can affect engagements if its sucking air, I normally move the magnet from the bottom of the pan to under the neck of the filter to keep it from falling down if the grommet shrinks over time.

I would first try overfilling it by a quart, maybe a quart and a half, if the problem goes away, then pull the pan and recheck the filter, also, when checking the fluid level if it looks low on one side of the stick and higher on the other side, always go by the lowest side.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Master BS'er

Agreed, I don't think the bolt is the problem. If it was a leak it would do it all the time, or in the mornings or something.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode