Newly Rebuilt E4OD reverse isssues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Newly Rebuilt E4OD reverse isssues

Post #1 for me so hello all,

Recently rebuilt my E4OD in 1996 7.3 truck after stripping splines off input shaft on my way to work. I used RacerX Eagle TC, RacerX E4OD 1996 Ultimate kit (all new seals extra, Alto Red Eagle clutches, and Kolene steels), RacerX Red Eagle band, and Transgo 4R100 Tugger shift kit, also new bearings bushings and thrust washers as needed. New filter from CARQUEST, Castrol Mercon V fluid. Everything is good in all forward gears with the exception of manual 1st and reverse having low line pressure, about 40-45PSI at idle and goes up to 70PSI very quickly with a tap of the throttle. Neither will engage unless you are lightly on the throttle, and its slow to engage and slips/shudders. During the rebuild I found that my low/reverse drum is not correct for a 1996, looks like it was from a 4R100. I left the low/reverse clutch pack stock as none of the friction plates looked burnt, but I did replace the apply piston seals and checked piston with air and measured stack up. I did not have a perfect seal on the case passage so I couldn't tell if air was leaking from the piston seal, but it did apply quickly and firmly on shop air. I removed valve body and double checked low/reverse valve assembly and all looked good. The problem is much less pronounced (almost non existant for a minute on a cold start) when cold which points me toward the seal. My MLPS is good and in adjustment, Shift cable is properly adjusted, all connections clean and tight. Trans had no noticeable issues before removal.
The only other issue I am experiencing is I cannot get the truck to go into Manual 1st with the shifter, but it clicks in with the arm on the trans, and the reverse problem is the same when shifting manually on the trans. Does anybody have any other suggestions other than the apply piston seals before I remove and tear this thing back down to change them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Newly Rebuilt E4OD reverse isssues

oh man that sucks! How does it shift 1-4 when in D?
What is line pressure supposed to be at idle on a E4OD? 40 or closer to the 70? Could it be a front pump issue? Where did you get the pump? new? reman?

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Front pump is fine its the unit that came out of the truck with new seals and there were some parts of the shift kit installed into the pump. Idle pressure for reverse is supposed to be around 90 if i remember correctly, dont have my book in front of me at the moment. 1-4 shift great. but now today my O.D. light started flashing, except when I step on it, light shuts off. Let up on the throttle or coast, lights flashing. trucks still driving like normal. Automatics arent my thing looking for a ZF5 again

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 12:32 AM
Master BS'er

Sounds like a seal is bad in the low reverse circuit.

What's the pressure in d?

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:11 PM
PSN Veteran

OD light flashing there should be a code in memory to help you determine whats the cause

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:19 PM
Master BS'er

Good point

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fixed the issue; removed the E4OD and installed a ZF5 with a South Bend in its place!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode