Transmission Issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Unhappy Transmission Issues

Tonight on the way home from work as i pulled on to the interstate my Transmission temp gauge maxed out and my tow/haul light started to blink. The handling did not change at all and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I pulled over and checked the fluid level and looked for any leaks under the truck but fluid was full and no sign of any leaks. As I was checking the fluid level the gauges went back to normal. So I got back on the interstate and it was fine for about 5 miles and the gauge and light went back to maxed out and blinking.

Any suggestions?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Transmission Issues

What gauges?

My isspro did the same thing..would just max out all of a sudden and jump all over the place. Traced it back to a bad connection at the distrib box or whatever it is.

As for the blinking tow/haul light..??

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Transmission Junkie

It sounds like you need to get it to a shop and check the codes. The torque converter may not be locking. Torque converters are what create heat in the transmission, when they are locked the transmission temp stabilizes. If the converter doesn't lock the transmission cooler system cannot do its job. That would be the first place that I would look.

08 F350 CC Dually, SCT Livewire, DPF/DOC Delete Precision Converter and Performance Powertrain transmission
Performance Powertrain Inc.
Specializing in Performance Ford Transmissions
5R110/4R100/TR3650 and more...
(765)716-2291

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 PM
PSN Veteran

cooler may be plugged up for stuff coming apart inside thats what mine did when it went ouy back flush the cooler in to a Jar and see all the junk in it.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Are you referring to the stock gauge? If so, most likely your TFT sensor and/or the wiring harness to it has failed. It's not uncommon, and it isn't difficult to change. It is inside the pan.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah the gauges i mentioned were the stock gauges. This morning on the way to work everything was normal for the first 10 miles but the issue resurfaced just before i made it the 15 mile complete trip. As i said the truck does not seem to have any difference in the way it handles, just the trans gauge maxes out, "check gauge" light is on and "tow/haul" light blinks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Transmission Junkie

if nothing changes on the truck I would check the gauge or wiring like stated earlier...

08 F350 CC Dually, SCT Livewire, DPF/DOC Delete Precision Converter and Performance Powertrain transmission
(765)716-2291
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It isn't the gauge. It is the trans fluid temp sensor or the wiring to the sensor inside the pan, or it's both.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Transmission Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
It isn't the gauge. It is the trans fluid temp sensor or the wiring to the sensor inside the pan, or it's both.
Thats what I meant... sorry. The sensor and the wiring harness. Ive had to change the harness a couple of times on trucks, especially on snow plow trucks that get snow all packed up in there.

(765)716-2291
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

NEW Issue!!

So today on the way home from work the truck was running fine then i made a stop and when i took off the truck would not shift out of 3rd, which made it difficult since i was on the interstate. will changing the sensor correct this problem????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode