Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

5r110w issues

9K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  transfixer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum and the powerstroke world.

I picked up a bulletproofed 04 6.0 last night with some trans issues and I'm wondering if you guys can possibly point me in the right direction to fixing this thing.

Details on the truck. Egr delete, headstuds,downpipe and livewire ts programmer.

Now for the issue. The truck will takes off fine shifts into second perfect but will not shift into third. It doesn't act as it's slipping and will just gain rpm until you let off. It doesn't hesitate or even act like it's trying to shift.

The other issue is reverse. When the tranny is cold the truck will back up but shudders as the tranny gets warm it pretty much completely loses reverse.

The fluid is clean, does not smell burnt, no metal on the dipstick.

It is throwing codes p0761- shift solenoid c performance
and p0766-shift solenoid d performance.

I'm wondering if I could possibly just have a solenoid issue going on or if you guys think it's a clutch pack issue? If it's solenoids I plan on replacing them myself but if it's in the clutches I'm probably gonna bring the tranny somewhere.

Any pointers, thoughts and things to check out would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
well if the fluid in the pan is clean then the clutches are fine I have dealt with the solenoid on these and when I did it I just replaced them all. as was recommended to me when I did it. If you drop the pan and the fluid is full of metals and clutch face then u got bigger problems pull the pan and it should give a good indication. now there will be some metal on the magnet and its normally fine just post a pic of the magnet after u drop the pan.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet.

#4 ·
Since its a performance code it means the computer told the solenoid to function and third didn't happen, which could be the solenoid mechanically not working, or the intermediate clutches have failed. But reverse uses a different clutch pack, and the fact that it has it cold and not hot means its loosing pressure when the fluid thins out when hot. The shuddering happens when there isn't enough pressure to keep the clutches applied.

The fluid apply for both sets of clutches involved runs through the center support in the transmission, the problem is going to be related it that, meaning it needs to come out and be gone into more than likely.

You could try replacing the two solenoids in question, but I pretty sure it won't solve the problem.

#5 ·
P0761- shift solenoid c performance sets when the PCM commands the solenoid on and then detects that the armature in the solenoid didn't move. The only way this code can set is a solenoid issue. A failed clutch cannot set this code.

There is a very good chance that replacing solenoid C will fix this problem.

#6 ·
Possible, but that doesn't explain the P0766 code, which ties in with the shuddering in reverse after the fluid warms up .

A performance code means the computer expected to see a desired result after commanding the solenoid to do something, the two possible results are the solenoid operates and you have a corresponding gear engagement, if it doesn't see the corresponding rpm drop indicating a gear change, it throws a performance code, if it had failed electrically it would have thrown a P0760 or P0763 code for a problem with the electrical aspect of it.

It could possibly be related to the center support bolt being loose, if someone built it in the past and didn't torque it correctly , as fluid for both the intermediate and direct clutches run through the center support.

#7 ·
No, that isn't what sets a P0761. That sets when the PCM detects that the armature inside the solenoid hasn't moved. It doesn't look at what the trans did after commanding the solenoid, it looks at the solenoid itself. When the armature moves inside the solenoid it induces a voltage that is monitored by the PCM. If the PCM doesn't see this inductive spike it knows that the armature hasn't moved. That's how the solenoid performance codes are set.

#12 ·
I have learned never second guess Mark he is usually right.[emoji16]

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. [emoji322]So heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.[emoji322]?

#13 ·
Now for the issue. The truck will takes off fine shifts into second perfect but will not shift into third. It doesn't act as it's slipping and will just gain rpm until you let off. It doesn't hesitate or even act like it's trying to shift.

The other issue is reverse. When the tranny is cold the truck will back up but shudders as the tranny gets warm it pretty much completely loses reverse.

The fluid is clean, does not smell burnt, no metal on the dipstick.

It is throwing codes p0761- shift solenoid c performance
and p0766-shift solenoid d performance.

I'm wondering if I could possibly just have a solenoid issue going on or if you guys think it's a clutch pack issue?

Let us know what this ends up being ,, I'd really like to know for future reference, for your sake I hope its just the solenoids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.