03 7.3 4r100 new truck to me - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tjctransport
  • 1 Post By cmb7684

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

03 7.3 4r100 new truck to me

So I picked up a deal on another work truck because I have learned a lesson with having only one truck. My other is down right now and while I am sorting it out picked up a decent shape 2003 F250 crew cab 7.3 4x4 280,000 miles.

The story from the seller is that he isnt sure what is wrong with the trans. He said it was slipping and his buddy changed the fluid and maybe filter and they had steel shavings on the magnet in the pan. Well I always thought over time you would get that. Anyway he said that it ran like new and then he noticed fluid leaking from the pan gasket and the trans was rough again so e decided to sell.

I get to play with the truck today to see what is actually going on. ANy suggestions to test it out to see what I have going on exactly?

According to the dealer my trans code is :transcode 1c3p7000fb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 11:14 AM
alleged moderator

Re: 03 7.3 4r100 new truck to me

hopefully it is just a bad pan gasket or loose bolts causing the leak.
i would start by filling the trans back up and see if it runs ok or not.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

OK pulled the pan and bought a new gasket, filter and Mercon V fluid. Pulled the gasket and cleaned the loads of gasket maker he put on with the old rubber gasket and I am pretty sure that is why it was leaking. Changed filter and fluid and cleaned all of silicone gasket off pan and tranny. applied new gasket and torqued it to 11ft. lbs. filled with fluid and took it for a test driver.

They had the normal metal shavings around the magnet but no chunks of metal but then I am not sure what the previous owner got out of the pan when he changed it.

I will say before I did any of this I pulled it up on ramps. It didnt have the trans power even ice cold to climb ramps.

After I filled it with fluid I drove it around a city block and could barely get it to go past 10 mph and even on a straight run could only get it to muster 20 mph. I dont think it ever shifted out of 1st.

Is this trans dead or is it possible an electronic problem?

The other question is if it s dead and I have to go the rebuild route is there a better trans that is less problematic? I have to haul materials in the truck that range from lumber to loads of cinder block and everything in between. I would also like a comfortable driving/riding truck as well. So certainly welcome all suggestions and input.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Update:

Using my modus scan tool from snap on I scanned to see what codes were stored. I didnt have a CEL. The codes in memory were:

P0733 GEAR 3 INCORRECT RATIO
P0500 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR FAULT
P1670 EF FEEDVACK SIGNAL NOT DETECTED
P0603 INTERNAL CONTROL MODULE KAM ERROR
P0720 OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT FAULT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:31 AM
alleged moderator

at 280k miles my bet is he did the trans service after it started slipping because it was never serviced before.
i would pull the trans and have it rebuilt.
the 4R100 is a good trans that will last forever if properly maintained.
410customs likes this.

tom

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Any suggestions on a rebuilt tranny that will hold up and at a good price? I tow a bobcat skid steer but never more than 30 miles and if it is more than 3 times a year it is plenty. I do haul building materials with heavy cinder blocks from time to time but most of my carrying is light building materials. I see kits around and I am somewhat tempted to try to rebuild it myself. Any good kits that are suggested?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Does anyone have opinions, feedback or reviews about Transtar Industries or Jasper Transmissions. Both have 3 year 100,000 mile warranties. I'm leaning towards Transtar because its about 1000.00 cheaper than jasper with the same warranty.
true98jeep likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM
alleged moderator

my opinion on jasper is they are put it in to sell it parts. i have never seen one of their engines or transmissions last.

when i comes to rebuilds, i do not go with major rebuilders. they tend to only replace the bad parts and call it rebuilt. i always use local shops because they are small and live off their reputation.
people bad mouth a small shop and they are out of business.

tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode