2000 7.3 ZF6 extremely difficult to get in R and L - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2000 7.3 ZF6 extremely difficult to get in R and L

Hello everyone,

I got the truck 2 months ago, but haven't had much of a chance to drive it (doing upgrades, preventative maintenance etc). But I do know it is beyond reasonable, the amount of effort it takes to force it in R or L. I've already done the heim joint clutch rod mod (the plastic bushing was buggered up pretty good) and bypassed the clutch switch with a jumper from an automatic. Now I can start without pressing the clutch and I have Cruise control However, it didn't improve shifting into R and L at all.

I've searched high and low for definitive answers regarding the difficulty of getting the transmission into those gears. So I've taken on the task of removing the shifter boot (ugh, Ford did not need to make this so difficult!!! ) So I successfully separated the boot from the white inner boot and took the shifter handle off. Then removed the 6X6mm allen head bolts on top of the tranny. Looking inside the tranny or the shifter itself, I can't see anything too obvious.

So, help me out here, is there a problem with the tranny and is there some way I can look for it or is this just how the zf6 is (no syncro on those two gears I hear)? or are there tricks to getting it in gear easier?

I do plan on a fluid change (plain dino mercon V) but I don't think this will necessarily fix that issue.

Thanks

2000 XLT F250 SD, Ext Cab Short Box, 7.3 Powerstroke, 6 Speed Manual, 77k Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 AM

Re: 2000 7.3 ZF6 extremely difficult to get in R and L

How does it shift when the Motor off? If it shifts good. It sounds like the clutch is on it's way out. Or you have air in the hydraulics.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I just tried shifting in R and L with the truck parked and motor off. It would not go in R and L, so I tried 1, no go, 2 - 5 went in then back to L and R and it went in with hardly any resistance!!

I guess it is possible the clutch may still be slightly dragging, which would make it difficult to go in R and L, right? Any other possible causes besides maybe the hydraulics or a bent fork? I guess I don't understand how a clutch can "go out" unless its air in the lines, or bent fork. Is there a surefire way to test if the clutch is dragging? (I'm thinking for MINIMAL RESISTANCE jack up the rear and put the truck in 1 with the clutch fully depressed and see if it turns the wheels, if not then it is not dragging. Think I should do this?)

2000 XLT F250 SD, Ext Cab Short Box, 7.3 Powerstroke, 6 Speed Manual, 77k Miles

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 11:35 AM

Mine does this sometimes to. So when you go to put it in low or reverse. Put some pressure on that gear and slowly let out on the clutch. Then it will just slide right in. My guess is its just out of sync and when you let our it spins everything and it lines up. Just like when it put it into the other gears. It moved it just a bit to line up.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode