Early 99 weird knocking sound. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Early 99 weird knocking sound.

Ok so this is a 1 owner truck recently with a all new fuel system OEM new fuel pump, new sender with screens, IPR, HPOP, new Garret turbo with WW2, FPR 4 in exhaust, HYDRA chip PHP and recently flashed at the dealer from XLE4 to new strategy but I believe the chip over rides that. Truck has 225,000 miles on it. The problem I'm experiencing is the truck seems slow to build up boost and in 1st and 2nd gear it has high rpm and won't shift until I let off the gas using the chip. Fluid looks excellent I've changed it about 3 times in the last year. Torque converter also does not seem to have a lot of bite really also. Another thing is when it warms up and you use it hard it has a weird knock under the truck, if you crank the wheel all the way left or right in drive it lugs and knocks harder almost stalling the motor same with reverse. In park the knock is almost knock there but as soon as you go to drive or reverse it knocks hard and almost wants to stall, anyone know what could cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Early 99 weird knocking sound.

that is odd
Sounds like a possible torque converter issue

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Oh it's odd truck does not use any oil at all fires right up but just had no torque at all I can get it up to 24 psi at 3000 rpm with a 80hp PHP tune but it's like I'm going no where and in stock it constantly downshifts and I can rpm but no speed and feel no torque

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:30 PM
STROKER

that sounds like a torque converter problem to me, almost as if you lost some fins on the turbine, stator, or rotor or maybe all three.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GETSUM
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fuel pressure is at 60psi and drops to 55psi WOT, now with a 80hp tune after I run it hard it has a sparatic knock real inconsistent, I've replaced all boots lined collector up replaced exhaust manifolds up pipes and doughnuts. She also has a knock on the passenger side all the time I've pulled that valve cover off and unplugged injectors for a hour trying to make a difference in sound, only thing I thought was not normal was the tiny air bubbles coming out of the middle injector and I have big bubbles coming out of the first injector on that side. It has Delo 400LE oil in it and new HPOP new IPR and rebuilt injectors. Anyone have a clue? She downshifts but no speed gain and no pull unless I put it to the floor.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Sounds like you've got compression leaks either through the copper sealing ring on the injector or the injector cup . Air in the fuel system will cause a real nasty knocking sound . I'd pull the known leaking injectors and replace the o rings and copper sealing gaskets and fire it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Longjohnsilver, thank you for the idea I will remove all injectors and try re sealing, when I tightened the injectors I used a dial style inch pound wrench, I probably should have tightened by hand to double check.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I have another question for all of you when I put my truck in to drive it will not move on it's own anymore usually at one and this is forward and reverse plus it always knocks The torque converter is original and so is the transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode