4R100 1st-2nd shift problem. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4R100 1st-2nd shift problem.

Ok so I'm sure this has been covered quite a few times. I've searched this topic for a few nights while at work on this specific forum as well as a few other forums that's I've came across on google.

I have a 2001 Excursion. Build date is 8/00 so I'm guessing that I do not have the mechanical diode in my transmission? I could be wrong though. Anyways, I bought my 2001 Excursion at the beginning of April 2017. It's a 7.3 4x4 and has 138k on the odometer. It's completely stock and I bought it off the original owners who are an older couple so it was never abused. I bought it knowing it was having transmission problems. The previous owner claimed it had no power and they couldn't afford to fix it. While viewing the vehicle I noticed it had a fuel leak around the filter bowl so that was problem number 1. I also noticed the shift solenoid on the transmission was unplugged which was causing it to start in 4th gear, there's problem number 2. I trailered it home, got it off the trailer and replaced the fuel filter and gasket then shortly after that I plugged in the shift solenoid. No more fuel leak and also all 4 gears work. The problem that I encountered afterwards is that 1st gear will not shift into 2nd gear unless I rev to 2500+ RPMs then let off the throttle. The transmission fluid is at normal operating level, looks bright red but somewhat smells like an electrical burn. The odor isn't strong by any means but it's slightly noticeable. I did have 2 codes pop up whenever I brought it home as well as the OD light flashing. The codes that popped up were P0743 and P0755. I cleared the codes and have driven the excursion 50 miles without any lights popping back up. When I recently unplugged the female end of the solenoid plug I noticed that it has slight fluid build up on it. Is that normal? I'm thinking this has to be a wiring issues, something small that I cannot pin point on my own. I'm confused as to what it can be so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the correct direction. I plan on ordering a pigtail harness that will plug into the solenoid so I can test it without dropping the pan and removing the solenoid. Is there anything else that I should check? This has been bothering me for quite some time. I had originally planned on taking it to a transmission shop and have someone experienced take a look at it but if it's something simple then I'd like to fix it myself and save some money. I called one shop, told them my issue and they automatically told me I needed a rebuilt transmission ($2,950 w/o tax). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

My reverse gear also works great if it makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 4R100 1st-2nd shift problem.

Congrats that is one nice rig and low miles!!

So since you plugged the trans solenoids back in and cleared the codes
Trans is still hanging in 1st, delayed shift into 2
and no more flashing light?

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
Congrats that is one nice rig and low miles!!

So since you plugged the trans solenoids back in and cleared the codes
Trans is still hanging in 1st, delayed shift into 2
and no more flashing light?
C

Thank you! And yes, I cleared the codes and it still has the delayed shift. I have to let off the throttle in order to shift into 2nd gear. No other codes have popped up since then and the OD light is NOT flashing.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Does solenoid B control the 1-2 shift?
Sorry I am new to 4r100
your second code from memory was a solenoid B issue

The next step would be to OHM the solenoids from the wiring plug on the side of the trans
This will tell you if your shift and pressure control and converter control solenoids are within spec

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

21.9 liter family
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
Does solenoid B control the 1-2 shift?
Sorry I am new to 4r100
your second code from memory was a solenoid B issue

The next step would be to OHM the solenoids from the wiring plug on the side of the trans
This will tell you if your shift and pressure control and converter control solenoids are within spec

To be honest with you I don't know what solenoid b controls. And yes, I had planned on testing the OMHs from the solenoid but I wanted to order an additional pig tail harness so I can test it without having to drop the pan. It looks too difficult to test it in place without a spare cut harness.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Order one of these?
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00026389b.htm

And then do this test:

I bet you find the issue
Solenoid packs are pricey for this trans! I am used to being able to replace them one at a time...if you do replace the pack get a good name brand

21.9 liter family
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGarza7 View Post
I have a 2001 Excursion. Build date is 8/00 so I'm guessing that I do not have the mechanical diode in my transmission?
Build dates for the mechanical diode was 7/00 to 2/01. Your truck left the factory with a mechanical diode transmission.

Quote:
The problem that I encountered afterwards is that 1st gear will not shift into 2nd gear unless I rev to 2500+ RPMs then let off the throttle.
That's the classic symptom of a failed mechanical diode.

Quote:
My reverse gear also works great if it makes a difference.
No, it doesn't. The mechanical diode doesn't affect reverse gear.
evans735 likes this.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes sir that's exactly what I had planned on ordering. I'll go ahead and order one tonight while I'm at work. Also, I have a friend with a brand new Ford solenoid pack that he's selling for $250. He bought it through Ford and ended up doing a ZF6 swap.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
That's the classic symptom of a failed mechanical diode.
That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. I still plan on buying a female harness to the shift solenoid pack to test it. Fingers crossed that it's something minor and I don't need a full rebuild although that's more than likely what it is.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 PM
PSN Veteran

dang Ford WTF!!!! Diodes are for fuse boxes...
gonna check the build date on our Excursion! My van has a reman tranny in it from Ford so I assume it has no diode

Thanks for the education fella's
I bet they had the wiring off the side of the trans because they already ohmed the solenoids...just a guess
With a 7.3 excursion with 138K I would not be afraid to install a new 4r100 and go on with life.
If you want to sell that truck I know a few dozen people looking for one cheap!

21.9 liter family

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode