4R100 front oil seal options - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

4R100 front oil seal options

Hi Folks,

I just rebuilt my 4r100 and within about a week of driving around the neighborhood, the front seal started puking out ATF. So, it would seem I have the old silicone seal in there and not the viton one, or, more likely, I screwed up the seal when I installed it. In any case, I want to make sure I have a viton seal in there. I don't want to do this again.

I have the seal from Napa, which is PN 19966. It's blue, and made by SKF. I went over and looked up the specs on SKF's website, and they say it's silicone, so that one's going back. I also have the Ford part E9TZ-7A248-B, and my parts guy can't tell me what that one is made of, but it's grey and I found this:

Which suggests my grey seal is silicone not viton

So, I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm fairly certain I boogered the seal up when I installed it, but I want to make sure I put a good seal back in.

Does anyone know for sure if that Ford part is silicone or viton?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 4R100 front oil seal options

Well it turns out it doesn't really matter. I took that seal over to a local transmission shop and they just traded my grey seal for a black one.

Now my only problem is, I can't see where my leak started. I assumed that I had damaged the seal when I put the TC in. I pulled the trans and removed the seal and I see no tear, no damage, no reason for the leak. This is frustrating; I hate getting this far, and having no proof yet.

I didn't put any sealant on the outside of the seal when I installed it. Maybe that's why it started leaking... I don't know
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I think I just figured it out. When I put my oil pump on originally, I had a spacing problem inside the transmission, and the pump didn't seat properly. When I tried to install it, I stripped a bolt. I didn't worry about it, I cheated and just put in a slightly longer bolt, so I could get some torque on it, and gooped that one up with silicone when I got the pump on (and fixed my internal problem that is). Well, it turns out, the one bolt hole that I stripped is one that has oil pressure behind it from the pump, possibly the only one. I found this image online, and circled the one I stripped.

So, my laziness really bit me in the a$$ this time. It'll just take an 8mm x1.25 helicoil fix, and a few new gaskets, and I'll be off and running. While the pump is out, I've taken it over to a local trans shop to have that bushing replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4r100 oil pump.jpg (25.0 KB, 6 views)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I fixed my threads, had the oil pump rebuilt and installed a viton seal. Just took it out for a test drive and all is well. Case closed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode