Adjusting shift cable 5R110 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 410customs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Adjusting shift cable 5R110

Yup, did a search, but didn't really find what I was looking for. The problem, on a 2004 Excursion, is that when I shift into reverse from drive, it will sometimes not engage. If I move it just a hair past the R it engages just fine. Also, if I shift into reverse from park, it engages just fine as well. I want to adjust the cable just a bit to correct this issue, but I'm concerned it might throw off the other positions. As I know nearly next to nothing about how the 5R110 works, I don't know if this is a warranted concern, of if I'm just worried for nothing.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Adjusting shift cable 5R110

okay its pretty simple
With the truck tires chocked and e brake on

Remove the knee guard cover that gives access to the interior fuse panel (under steering wheel), behind the knee guard you will see a tiny black cable and a white adjuster wheel. This small cable adjusts the position of your orange pointer for the trans indicator

With the key in and foot on brake put truck in N with the column shifter
Adjust the white pointer adjuster wheel so that the orange arrow points in the middle of N

Now underneath the truck you will remove the shift cable from the side of the transmission. ON your truck there maybe a white retainer clip you need to defeat in order to release cable from trans (#1 in pic below)

Also remove the white clip that locks the cable in place inside its holder (#2 in pic below)

Now with the cable disconnected move the transmission shifter arm into Neutral (P R N), you want to shift it with your hand to Park, then Rev and then finally N. This is why you chock the tires, I have heard plenty of stories of people moving the shifter arm on trans only to have truck attempt to roll over them
Adjust cable at the big white clip that locks it in place until its perfectly lined up with shifter arm that is now in N
Make sure adjuster on dash is still in correct spot.
Hook cable back to transmission shifter arm, push in big white clip to lock shift cable into final position
DONE

The reason we set the cable position with trans in N is because it is closest to center of the travel of the cable, You can probably also adjust it in D, but I was trained to use N
P R N D 2 1
jamiesaun likes this.

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:40 PM
alleged moderator

my issue with these shifter setups is the cable stretches a tad, and then it does not always engage in park and the truck will start rolling away as you walk away from it.
for this reason i always adjust the shifter to fully engage in park, then set the pointer to wherever it is supposed to be in gear.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

Last edited by tjctransport; 05-07-2017 at 02:27 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

That's about the process I thought, but it looks like I don't really have to worry about affecting other positions. Thanks!

And tjc, I know what you mean. Had that problem on an old E4OD. I'll definitely be keeping it in mind.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode